OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

SOLVED: Stuck on upgrading from 2.3.4 to 2.3.5

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

SOLVED: Stuck on upgrading from 2.3.4 to 2.3.5

Postby johnkperks » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:54 am

Hello,

Presently, I have version 2.3.4 OCS running on my website. I tried to upgrade it to 2.3.5 using the patch. I used WINSCP for the same. When I execute the command:

Code: Select all
patch -p1 --dry-run --binary < anyName.patch

It start running the upgrade but then it's stuck at "patching file tools/upgrade.php". It stayed there for more than an hour and not giving any errors either.

Can anyone suggest a solution for this please?
Last edited by johnkperks on Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnkperks

Re: Stuck on upgrading from 2.3.4 to 2.3.5

Postby asmecher » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:47 am

Hi johnkperks,

The patch tool should run more or less instantly -- if it's delayed for more than a moment it's waiting for something. I would suggest trying to convert the patch file to Windows line endings by opening it and re-saving it using a good text editor in Windows. Then try again (without the --binary option). Note that if the first patch was partially applied you'll have to revert to backup first. The "--dry-run" option can be useful here to test applying a patch without actually making changes.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby johnkperks » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:54 pm

Hi Alec,

Following your advice, I opened the patch file, saved it, uploaded it on server and tried running the patch command without binary. It is still stuck at the same line. I also downloaded the patch file again and tried the same process. However, it runs a lot of line saying patching this and that and then when it comes to "patching file tools/upgrade.php", it is stuck. Is there any other solution to this.
johnkperks

Postby asmecher » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:41 pm

Hi John,

The tools/upgrade.php modification is the last in the patch file, and it's a cosmetic change (an update to copyright dates), so if you cancel the patching at that point you won't be missing anything. I suspect the problem you're encountering is a platform quirk due to running the patch tool on Windows. Make sure you review any error messages from the patch tool carefully.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby johnkperks » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi Alec,

The patch tool showed errors relating to TinyMCE but else than that everything seem to have patched fine. I followed your advice and stopped the execution of patch at where it got stuck. Upgraded the database and now it shows through system settings that OCS has been upgraded to 2.3.5. Hooraaah! Thanks.
johnkperks

Return to OCS Technical Support