OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Create a new menu item in OCS

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Create a new menu item in OCS

Postby Celuloide » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:12 am

Hi!
I'm trying to create a new menu item at the main menu of OCS, not in any conference but in global main menu whitch display a link to open an external page in a new window. Is it possible? How?

Thank you.

OCS version: 2.3.5
http://www.icono14.es/actas
Celuloide

Re: Create a new menu item in OCS

Postby asmecher » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:10 am

Hi Celuloide,

This will require a template modification. I'm not sure exactly where you want to put it, but I suspect you're probably looking for templates/common/navbar.tpl.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Celuloide » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:30 am

Thank you Alec, it worked!
I need it to link a repository of old conferences that are out from OCS.

Regards!
Celuloide
Celuloide

Postby johnkperks » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:11 pm

Hi Celuloide,

If you don't want to change the .tpl file, you can also add another menu item through the website management point 3.4 navigation bar.

You just have to mention the label and URL and after saving it, it should appear on the navbar as the last item. Though, I haven't found a way to then move its position.
johnkperks

Postby SteelToeBoots » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:04 am

Whenever I add a link either on navbar.tpl or through the Journal Setup (Customizing the Look), the new link has hashtags before and after the new link.

##New Link##

How can I get rid of those? I can't really link to my site since I'm testing this out on localhost. The links do work though.
SteelToeBoots

Postby asmecher » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:40 am

Hi SteelToeBoots,

That indicates that OCS expects the item "New Link" to be a locale key (and the locale key can't be found). There should be a checkbox when creating items to turn this expectation on or off.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby SteelToeBoots » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:03 pm

Okay, I had to make sure the box was checked for the following:
The label value is a literal string (e.g., "Journal Setup") rather than a localization message key (e.g., "manager.setup")

I thought I had it checked, but I didn't.

Now if I add a line directly on a template page, I'll also get the hashtags:
<li id="research"><a href="http://localhost/example/external.html">{translate key="research"}</a></li>

##Research## on the navigation bar

This should be changed to:
<li id="research"><a href="http://localhost/example/external.html">research</a></li>

I shouldn't have been working on that in the middle of the night. Thanks for your help.
SteelToeBoots

Return to OCS Technical Support