OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Localize date format?

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Localize date format?

Postby joelproko » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:38 am

Hi everyone
I'm currently trying to set up an OCS site in 4 different languages, and have hit a bit of a snag.
In English, the dates show up as "June 19, 2014", which is perfect. But in, say, German, they show up as "Juni 19, 2014", which is really bad. Now I could just change date_format_long et al., but then it would be "19. June 2014" in English, which would be totally wrong as well.
Is there a way to localize the date format too? That is, have date_format_long and its siblings depend on the locale the visitor is using, just like the rest of OCS? I have some experience with smarty, but I have no idea how to combine Applocale::Translate with Config::getVar or however this could be solved.
Greetings,
Joel
joelproko

Re: Localize date format?

Postby asmecher » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:21 am

Hi Joel,

This would require a modification. See lib/pkp/classes/template/PKPTemplateManager.inc.php, near line 102 (depending on your version):
Code: Select all
$this->assign('datetimeFormatShort', Config::getVar('general', 'datetime_format_short'));
$this->assign('datetimeFormatLong', Config::getVar('general', 'datetime_format_long'));
$this->assign('timeFormat', Config::getVar('general', 'time_format'));
This is where date/time formats are fetched from the configuration file and made available to the templates. Later on, near line 115, the line:
$this->assign('currentLocale', $locale);
...is responsible for exposing the current locale to the templates.

You will need to rearrange this code a little bit so that different formats are supplied to the templates depending on the value of the $locale variable.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Re: Localize date format?

Postby joelproko » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:05 am

Ah thanks, just about what I found myself. For others who wonder, this is how I solved the problem:

lib/pkp/classes/template/PKPTemplateManager.inc.php (starting from line 90)
      $this->assign('dateFormatTrunc', Config::getVar('general', 'date_format_trunc'));
      $this->assign('dateFormatShort', Config::getVar('general', 'date_format_short'));
      //$this->assign('dateFormatLong', Config::getVar('general', 'date_format_long')); //REMOVED by J.P. to make locale-dependant
      $this->assign('datetimeFormatShort', Config::getVar('general', 'datetime_format_short'));
      //$this->assign('datetimeFormatLong', Config::getVar('general', 'datetime_format_long')); //REMOVED by J.P. to make locale-dependant
      $this->assign('timeFormat', Config::getVar('general', 'time_format'));
      $this->assign('allowCDN', Config::getVar('general', 'enable_cdn'));

$locale = AppLocale::getLocale();
      $this->assign('currentLocale', $locale);
      //BEGIN manual insert by J.P. {
      if (Config::getVar('general', 'date_format_long_'.$locale)!="")
         $this->assign('dateFormatLong', Config::getVar('general', 'date_format_long_'.$locale));
      else
         $this->assign('dateFormatLong', Config::getVar('general', 'date_format_long'));
      if (Config::getVar('general', 'datetime_format_long_'.$locale)!=0)
         $this->assign('datetimeFormatLong', Config::getVar('general', 'datetime_format_long_'.$locale));
      else
         $this->assign('datetimeFormatLong', Config::getVar('general', 'datetime_format_long'));
      //END manual insert by J.P. }

config.inc.php (starting from line 52)
; Short and long date formats
date_format_trunc = "%m-%d"
date_format_short = "%Y-%m-%d"
date_format_long = "%B %e, %Y"
date_format_long_en_US = "%B %e, %Y"
date_format_long_de_DE = "%e. %B %Y"
date_format_long_fr_CA = "%e %B %Y"
date_format_long_it_IT = "%e %B %Y"
datetime_format_short = "%Y-%m-%d %H:%M"
datetime_format_long = "%B %e, %Y - %H:%M"
datetime_format_long_en_US = "%B %e, %Y - %H:%M"
datetime_format_long_de_DE = "%e. %B %Y - %H:%M"
datetime_format_long_fr_CA = "%e %B %Y - %H:%M"
datetime_format_long_it_IT = "%e %B %Y - %H:%M"
time_format = "%H:%M"

This could of course be expanded to also apply to date_format_short etc.; I only needed to change the long ones.
I'm aware it isn't the most beautiful solution, what with going to the config file instead of a corresponding localization file, but at least the formats aren't hardcoded in the class file.
joelproko

Return to OCS Technical Support