OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Submission Notification

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Submission Notification

Postby vlilloh » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:23 am

Hi,

In OCS 2.3.5, the two options in Submission Notification don't work:

Copies of acknowledgement email to submitter should go to the following:
- The conference’s primary contact.
- The email address

Only submitters receive the SUBMISSION ACK email.

Thanks,
Vicente
vlilloh

Re: Submission Notification

Postby asmecher » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:49 pm

Hi Vicente,

See around https://github.com/pkp/ocs/blob/master/classes/author/form/submit/AuthorSubmitForm.inc.php#L104 -- I haven't tested this specifically, but the implementation looks good to me. Do you mind checking to see specifically if that code is called? Have you checked spam filters? The current implementation uses BCCs, so these messages may be getting caught in spam filters. Also ensure that any additionally-specified email addresses are plain email addresses e.g. "me@there.com" rather than "John Smith <me@there.com>".

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby vlilloh » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:34 am

Thanks Alec,

Yes, I checked Spam folder, but nothing there either. How could I check that that code is called?

Thanks,
Vicente
vlilloh

Postby JasonNugent » Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:05 am

Hi Vicente,

If you have error logging turned on, you can use PHP's error_log() function to dump some text into either your Apache error log or the one defined for PHP in php.ini. It's a easy way to see if something is being executed.

e.g.:
Code: Select all
error_log('the content is set to: ' . $variable);

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby vlilloh » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:56 am

Thanks Jason,

Although I'm not very technical, I think I understand something. After an phpinfo(), I see "error_log = no value" and "log_errors = on". I think I have no access to Apache error log, so setting a file in php.ini where I can see the errors would be a good idea. I think I can override some php.ini variables. What is the variable to define my own "error log file path" in php.ini?

Thanks,
Vicente
vlilloh

Postby ian » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:20 am

Hi all

I am the editor and web administrator of a journal using OJS 2.3.8 and I am having the same problem as reported above.

I have both boxes checked in section 3.6 of setup (Notification of Author Submission). But neither the journal's primary contact, nor the additional e-mail I put in, receive notifications of author submission.

The author does receive a notification.
The journal's primary contact (me) is correctly identified in Setup Step 1.
When I submit a test article as author, I receive a notification as author, but still no notification as editor, so it's not a spam filter problem or such.

I looked under Home > Notification Settings and double checked that both boxes are checked under Submission Events > A new article has been submitted.

I tried to see if the Notification of Author Submission was somehow disabled under Home > Journal Management > Prepared Emails, but I couldn't find the Notification of Author Submission template in the list.

What could be the problem?

Thanks for any help,
Ian

PS I found a bug report of this same problem several years ago but it was reported as fixed: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2967
ian

Postby asmecher » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:12 am

Hi Ian,

Did you enter the CC email as e.g. "username@hostname.com", or did you use a descriptive name like "John Smith <username@hostname.com>"? If the latter, try the former.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby ian » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:51 pm

Hi Alec and thanks for your response.

The e-mails are entered in the normal way (username@hostname.com) in both section 1 (the primary contact) and section 3.6 (the additional cc, to another address).

So that's not the problem.

Do you have any more ideas of things I could try?

Best regards,
Ian
ian

Postby asmecher » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:11 pm

Hi Ian,

Do you have access to the web server's email logs? That would be the most direct source of debugging information -- but if you don't have access to those, I'd suggest adding some temporary logging calls to the mail() function in lib/pkp/classes/core/String.inc.php. (See http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10151#p39527 for a quick description.)

That function, by the way, will only be relevant if you're not using SMTP. (See your config.inc.php configuration file.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OCS Technical Support