OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Exporting Abstracts

Are you responsible for making OCS work -- installing, upgrading, migrating or troubleshooting? Do you think you've found a bug? Post in this forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
What to do if you have a technical problem with OCS:

1. Search the forum. You can do this from the Advanced Search Page or from our Google Custom Search, which will search the entire PKP site. If you are encountering an error, we especially recommend searching the forum for said error.

2. Check the FAQ to see if your question or error has already been resolved. Please note that this FAQ is OJS-centric, but most issues are applicable to both platforms.

3. Post a question, but please, only after trying the above two solutions. If it's a workflow or usability question you should probably post to the OCS Conference Support and Discussion subforum; if you have a development question, try the OCS Development subforum.

Exporting Abstracts

Postby jcurtis » Wed May 29, 2013 11:49 am

Hi,

I am new to the OCS software and I have been hired to develop a part of a website using OCS.

As I understand, abstracts can be submitted in the text field and/ or document that is uploaded to the site. My problem with this is, when using the ImportExport feature provided by OCS, only abstracts that were submitted via the text field appear in the Excel document (As it is difficult to locate abstracts submitted with the full proposal).

Each conference requires a print out of all the abstracts submitted but, with many people avoiding using the text field, this becomes quite the cumbersome task. My employer has asked me to find a way to make sure that all the abstracts can be exported at the same time (we have no use for a whole proposal, only the abstracts and names are needed).

I was thinking a potential solution would be to have the abstracts only submitted via the text field and not with an uploaded proposal. This way people are forced use the text field allowing the ImportExport plugin to work more effectively. To do this, I would comment out or remove the code that correlates with uploading the proposal.

Let me know what you think/ input to help solve this problem.

Thanks!

James Curtis
jcurtis

Re: Exporting Abstracts

Postby asmecher » Wed May 29, 2013 11:55 am

Hi James,

Have you looked at Scheduled Conference Setup, Step 2, section 2.1? You can change the configuration there to specify that only text-based abstracts are required. (Note that this will not affect existing submissions, only new ones.) If you still want to permit the uploading of full papers, but want to discourage authors form uploading abstracts and leaving the text field blank, then you could also use "Abstract followed by proposal (2 rounds of review required; first for abstract, second for proposal)" to separate the two steps. (Note that the Abstract field ought to be required, so authors would need to actively work around OCS to submit an empty abstract -- e.g. entering a dummy value in that field.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby jcurtis » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:59 am

Hi Alec,

One of the problem's we've been finding is that many Abstract title's include chemical formula's which, with the subtext and super-text do not display properly.

Also, When using the text title and abstract, where does the information save?

Thanks,
James Curtis
jcurtis

Postby asmecher » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:00 am

Hi James,

You probably need to adjust what HTML entities are allowed; this is a setting in config.inc.php.

Titles, abstracts, and most other submission metadata are stored in paper_settings.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OCS Technical Support