OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Adding links to navigation block

The Plugin Gallery is a venue for users of PKP software to share their plugins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
The Public Knowledge Project Support Forum is moving to http://forum.pkp.sfu.ca

This forum will be maintained permanently as an archived historical resource, but all new questions should be added to the new forum. Questions will no longer be monitored on this old forum after March 30, 2015.

Adding links to navigation block

Postby sasutton » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:10 am

In exploring OCS/OJS extensibility with several students at University of Washington, we have successfully used built-in plugin functionality in a sandbox implementation of OCS 2.3.3.1 to create static pages and custom blocks. We have been unable to create a new page for a scheduled conference that is accessed through additions to the navigation block plugin. We know it is possible because we've seen it on a number of OCS/OJS implementations. For example, the additions of navigation links for "Hackfest" and "Sponsors" on the upcoming 2011 PKP conference in Berlin at http://pkp.sfu.ca/ocs/pkp/index.php/pkp2011/pkp2011 are exactly what we am talking about--additional navigation links that lead to their own pages within a scheduled conference. As usual, any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Stuart
sasutton

Re: Adding links to navigation block

Postby kstranac » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:39 pm

Hi Stuart,

Doing this on the PKP Conference site was a 3 step process:

First, in Web Site Management Step 4 I disabled the standard Navigation block.

Second, I created the necessary static pages (using the Static Pages plugin) and made a note of their full URLs.

Third, I created a new custom block (and called it ConfInfo), and added links for all nine of the items I wanted to include (Call for Papers, Track Policies, etc.). This meant I needed to repeat some of the links that would have appeared in the standard Navigation block too. I then enabled this new custom block back in Step 4 to replace the Navigation block I disabled previously.

I hope that makes sense. There might be a better way to do this with a little coding, but I wanted to get it done via the web-based interface. If you have any questions, just let me know.

All the best,
Kevin
kstranac
Site Admin

Re: Adding links to navigation block

Postby sasutton » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:30 pm

Kevin, thank you. It works perfectly!

Stuart
sasutton

Return to Plugin Gallery