OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Adding links to navigation block

The Plugin Gallery is a venue for users of PKP software to share their plugins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
If you post a plugin here, please include information on which versions of which applications it is compatible with. Attach a tarball of the plugin (e.g. tar cvzf myPlugin-0.1.tar.gz plugins/generic/myPlugin). Thanks for contributing!

Adding links to navigation block

Postby sasutton » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:10 am

In exploring OCS/OJS extensibility with several students at University of Washington, we have successfully used built-in plugin functionality in a sandbox implementation of OCS 2.3.3.1 to create static pages and custom blocks. We have been unable to create a new page for a scheduled conference that is accessed through additions to the navigation block plugin. We know it is possible because we've seen it on a number of OCS/OJS implementations. For example, the additions of navigation links for "Hackfest" and "Sponsors" on the upcoming 2011 PKP conference in Berlin at http://pkp.sfu.ca/ocs/pkp/index.php/pkp2011/pkp2011 are exactly what we am talking about--additional navigation links that lead to their own pages within a scheduled conference. As usual, any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Stuart
sasutton

Re: Adding links to navigation block

Postby kstranac » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:39 pm

Hi Stuart,

Doing this on the PKP Conference site was a 3 step process:

First, in Web Site Management Step 4 I disabled the standard Navigation block.

Second, I created the necessary static pages (using the Static Pages plugin) and made a note of their full URLs.

Third, I created a new custom block (and called it ConfInfo), and added links for all nine of the items I wanted to include (Call for Papers, Track Policies, etc.). This meant I needed to repeat some of the links that would have appeared in the standard Navigation block too. I then enabled this new custom block back in Step 4 to replace the Navigation block I disabled previously.

I hope that makes sense. There might be a better way to do this with a little coding, but I wanted to get it done via the web-based interface. If you have any questions, just let me know.

All the best,
Kevin
kstranac
Site Admin

Re: Adding links to navigation block

Postby sasutton » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:30 pm

Kevin, thank you. It works perfectly!

Stuart
sasutton

Return to Plugin Gallery