OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

LaTexRender fails to work inOJS 2.3.1-2

The Plugin Gallery is a venue for users of PKP software to share their plugins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
If you post a plugin here, please include information on which versions of which applications it is compatible with. Attach a tarball of the plugin (e.g. tar cvzf myPlugin-0.1.tar.gz plugins/generic/myPlugin). Thanks for contributing!

LaTexRender fails to work inOJS 2.3.1-2

Postby lightshadow306 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:12 pm

Dear
LatexRender plugion now fails to work for OJS 2.3.1-2, is there any solution, thanks !!
lightshadow306

Re: LaTexRender fails to work inOJS 2.3.1-2

Postby jerico » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:40 pm

Hi!

Do you maybe hit http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=5505?

You can also have a look at viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3448&start=15#p24189 where I just posted a slightly updated 2.3 version of the plug-in. But to be honest: I don't think that can be the problem. I just installed latexRender V0.4 on OJS 2.3 dev version and it worked fine.
jerico

Postby lightshadow306 » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:35 am

Dear Sir,
Thank you very much. But "http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=5505". seems to be a patch for OCS, how to do it with OJS 2.3 ?
I need it for my OJS, but LatexRender 0.5 causes a big trouble with my system
Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'lib/pkp/classes/plugins/GenericPlugin.inc.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/www/journals/classes:/usr/local/www/journals/pages:/usr/local/www/journals/lib/pkp:/usr/local/www/journals/lib/pkp/includes:/usr/local/www/journals/lib/pkp/classes:/usr/local/www/journals/lib/pkp/pages:/usr/local/www/journals/lib/pkp/lib/adodb:/usr/local/www/journals/lib/pkp/lib/phputf8:/usr/local/www/journals/lib/pkp/lib/pqp/classes:/usr/local/www/journals/lib/pkp/lib/smarty:.:/usr/local/share/pear') in /usr/local/www/journals/lib/pkp/includes/functions.inc.php on line 25

Best Regards
lightshadow306

Postby lightshadow306 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:14 am

jerico wrote:Hi!

You can also have a look at viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3448&start=15#p24189 where I just posted a slightly updated 2.3 version of the plug-in. But to be honest: I don't think that can be the problem. I just installed latexRender V0.4 on OJS 2.3 dev version and it worked fine.

dear jerco,
This does not solve my problem.
1. if I download the latest functons.inc.php to replace that included in ojs 2.3.1-2 and latexrender-0.5 to replace latexrender-0.4' then I got blank page everywhere,
lightshadow306

Postby lightshadow306 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:39 am

lightshadow306 wrote:

Hi, is there anyone else use this plugin for ors 2.3.x.?
I think this plugin is necessary for mathematical journals. I really regret to upgrade from 2.2.x to 2.3.2.
lightshadow306

Postby jerico » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:38 pm

Hi lightshadow306,

I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I forgot to subscribe to this thread so I didn't get your answers. (@James: thanks for pointing me here!)

if I download the latest functons.inc.php to replace that included in ojs 2.3.1-2 and latexrender-0.5 to replace latexrender-0.4' then I got blank page everywhere,

That probably doesn't work because you cannot usually mix files from different versions. functions.inc.php is a very central file which is used on all pages so that probably explains why you get errors everywhere now.

I propose you do the following:
1) Make a backup of your current installation and database or even better: create a copy of your installation and database for testing.
2) Upgrade all files to the latest release of OJS 2.3 so that you have a consistent installation. Also install the latexRender plug-in.
3) Run the upgrade script from a command line to take your database to the right version. You have to execute this from the OJS installation directory (the one that contains the config.inc.php).
Code: Select all
php tools/upgrade.php upgrade

4) Switch error output on (you should only do this for testing and not on a production installation). You do so in the last section of the config.inc.php
5) Post the error output here on the forum if there still is any. I'm subscribed to this thread now so that I can reply within a reasonable time frame.

If you have trouble with any of these steps or require more detailed explanations then you can of course also contact us.

Kind regards,
jerico
jerico

Postby lightshadow306 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:47 pm

DEAR JERICO,
Thanks for your kind help:
I have upgrade to 2.3.2, but when I execute
" php tools/upgrade.php upgrade"
I got some error message on the terminal

ojs2 has produced an error
Message: WARNING: require_once(lib/pkp/classes/plugins/GenericPlugin.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
In file: /usr/local/www/e-journals/lib/pkp/includes/functions.inc.php
At line: 25
Stacktrace:
Server info:
PHP Version: 5.2.3
Apache Version: N/A
DB Driver: mysql
DB server version: 5.1.21-beta-log<br/>
ojs2 has produced an error
Message: WARNING: require_once(lib/pkp/classes/plugins/GenericPlugin.inc.php): failed to open stream: No such file or directory
In file: /usr/local/www/e-journals/lib/pkp/includes/functions.inc.php
At line: 25
Stacktrace:
Server info:
PHP Version: 5.2.3
Apache Version: N/A
DB Driver: mysql
DB server version: 5.1.21-beta-log

I suppose I don't have the file
lib/pkp/classes/plugins/GenericPlugin.inc.php.

Then I link the file on classes/plugins/GenericPluin.ini.php to lib/pkp/classes/plugins/GenericPlugin.inc.php
and re-execute
php tools/upgrade.php upgrade
Then I got
PHP Warning: Module 'pcre' already loaded in Unknown on line 0
[load: upgrade.xml]
[version: 2.3.2.0]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/signoff.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/common.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/groups.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/announcements.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/scheduledTasks.xml]
[schema: lib/pkp/xml/schema/temporaryFiles.xml]
[schema: dbscripts/xml/ojs_schema.xml]
Successfully upgraded to version 2.3.2.0

Then I load the webpage of my tested site ( with latexrender -0.5.tar.gz installed)
go ->editor->unassigned
I got blank page. No error message appear.

Thank you for your assistance.

Best Regards
lightshadow306

Postby jerico » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:31 pm

Hi lightshadow306,

I managed to reproduce the first problem you describe (the missing file) on a fresh install of OJS 2.3.2-1. This can best be fixed by changing plugins/generic/latexRender/LatexRenderPlugin.inc.php, line 16, from
import('lib.pkp.classes.plugins.GenericPlugin');

to
import('classes.plugins.GenericPlugin');

The reason for this error is that latexRender 0.5 has been written against the latest development code. I wasn't aware that 2.3.2-1 didn't contain these changes yet when I posted my new version of latexRender. The changed file structure will only be released with 2.3.3, probably in September.

After that I went to editor->unassigned and the page opened without problem. So the two problems seem to be unrelated. It is unfortunate that you don't get any error message and that I cannot reproduce your problem here.

To isolate this problem further it would be useful if you could try a fresh install of 2.3.2-1 as I did. This is of course not a solution to your problem. It only helps us to find out whether the problem lies within the code (then you'd get the error even with a fresh install) or in the database (then the fresh install should work). Depending on the result of this test we can search further.

jerico
jerico

Postby lightshadow306 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:11 am

Dear jerico,
I make a clean install. I got the same results after enable latexrender plugin.
And it leads to the same results.
\Can The following messages help ?

ojs2 has produced an error\n Message: WARNING: filesize() [<a href='function.filesize'>function.filesize</a>]: stat failed for functions.inc.php\n In file: /usr/local/www/e-journals/lib/pkp/lib/pqp/classes/PhpQuickProfiler.php\n At line: 64\n Stacktrace: \n Server info:\n OS: FreeBSD\n PHP Version: 5.2.3\n Apache Version: Apache/2.2.6 (FreeBSD) mod_ssl/2.2.6 OpenSSL/0.9.7e-p1 DAV/2 PHP/5.2.3 with Suhosin-Patch\n DB Driver: mysql\n DB server version: 5.1.21-beta-log, referer: http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/index.php/eips/manager
Best regards
lightshadow306

Postby jerico » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:29 am

Do you mean you get the same result for the first (missing file) or the second part of your problem (white screen)? Did you make the change in LatexRenderPlugin.inc.php, line 16? You didn't mention it explicitly, that's why I ask. Just to be sure.
jerico

Postby jerico » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:32 am

lightshadow306 wrote:Dear jerico,
In file: /usr/local/www/e-journals/lib/pkp/lib/pqp/classes/PhpQuickProfiler.php\n

You can probably avoid that by switching off profiling in your config.inc.php (while leaving error reporting switched on).

UPDATE: I've reported this separately, see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=5785.
jerico

Postby lightshadow306 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:44 am

Dear jerico
Istill get blank page while goto >editor>unassigned
Thanks
lightshadow306

Postby lightshadow306 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:28 am

Dear jerico,
You said you didn't suffer the second problem, is it possible

that the problem is a platform dependent problem ?
I install on a freebsd 64 os system.
lightshadow306

Postby asmecher » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:50 am

Hi lightshadow306,

Regarding the stat failure error message you included in http://pkp.sfu.ca/support/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=6295&p=24882#p24880 -- is this an error message that you can cause to repeat, or did it only appear once?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby jerico » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:50 pm

lightshadow306 wrote:I still get blank page while goto >editor>unassigned

It's unfortunate that I cannot reproduce this and that you don't get an error message in the log. It's quite rare that no error message at all appears but it is possible. This can be anything ranging from a bug in the code, php.ini/Apache config problems, problems with a missing library, permission trouble, etc.

What I'd do now if this was on my machine is trying to step through the code, either with a debugger like xdebug or Zend debugger or place debug messages within the code to find out where exactly the problem is occurring. This can then lead us to better understand what's actually happening. Do you feel comfortable enough with PHP so you could find out where the problem is located? I can try assisting you in this but it's not so easy to do this remotely without actual access to your machine. So you'd probably need some support at your place also if you cannot do this yourself.

jerico
jerico

Next

Return to Plugin Gallery