OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Portico Preservation Plugin for OJS

The Plugin Gallery is a venue for users of PKP software to share their plugins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
If you post a plugin here, please include information on which versions of which applications it is compatible with. Attach a tarball of the plugin (e.g. tar cvzf myPlugin-0.1.tar.gz plugins/generic/myPlugin). Thanks for contributing!

Portico Preservation Plugin for OJS

Postby jmacgreg » Sun May 18, 2014 4:30 pm

The Public Knowledge Project is pleased to announce the availability of the Portico Preservation Plugin for Open Journal Systems! This plugin facilitates the transfer of journal content to the Portico digital preservation service, and can be used to deposit your journal content directly to the Portico FTP site, in a format that is ready for the Portico service to use.

Portico is a community-supported preservation service that works to preserve its participants’ rapidly growing digital publications, from e-journals to e-books to other digital collections. PKP is proud to assist in this valuable endeavour, and to ensure that OJS publisher participation in the Portico service is as easy as possible.

You can find a download package below. The plugin can be installed and configured via the Journal Manager -> System Plugins interface. Support queries regarding the technical workings of the plugin can be posted in this thread. For queries about participating in the Portico service itself, please contact publisher.relations@portico.org.

NOTE: This plugin requires OJS 2.4.1+ and PHP 5.2+ to run.
Attachments
portico.tar.gz
Version 1.0.0
(10.67 KiB) Downloaded 49 times
jmacgreg

Re: Portico Preservation Plugin for OJS

Postby lpalmquist » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:24 pm

I uploaded this into our test system (v 2.3.8) using the "Install A New Plugin" feature. It reported success, but when I looked at the list of plugins for a journal it was there, but only with "UPGRADE PLUGIN" and "DELETE Plugin" links. After looking around, I selected DELETE PLUGIN, to look over the tarball to see if I needed any configuration changes to the files.

I tried to upload/install again, and received "DB Error: Duplicate value 'portico-1-0-0-0' in versions_pkey.

Is there a way to clear this out and try again?

Thanks.
lpalmquist

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:26 pm

Hi lpalmquist,

This plugin wasn't developed against OJS 2.3 - you will have to upgrade your OJS install before using the plugin. After upgrading, you may also want to delete the plugin entry in the "versions" table.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby lpalmquist » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:28 am

Hi James,

Thanks for the reply. That's supposed to be 2.3.8 (two.three.eight), I don't know where the smiley came from.
What version was it developed for? I didn't see a "minimal version" note anywhere. We've finally got some staff and can try to get (relatively) current.

Thanks again.

Larry
lpalmquist

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:44 am

Hi Larry,

I wrote it against OJS 2.4.3; I will add version information to the release note above. I would suggest upgrading to OJS 2.4.4-1 - it will work fine there!

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby lpalmquist » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:31 am

Hi James,

Your prompt replies are greatly appreciated!

I will endeavor to upgrade to 2.4.4.

Thanks.

Regards,
Larry
lpalmquist

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:42 am

Hi Larry,

No problem, and thanks for the feedback!

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby lpalmquist » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:43 pm

Back again...

I have upgraded our test system to version 2.4.4-1, with apparent success.

When I tried the "Install A New Plugin", uploading portico.tar.gz, it reported success installing version 1.0.0

When I go to "Managing Plugins", "Import/Export Plugins", I see the following
--------
Portico Export Plugin

This plugin may be used to export your journal content for inclusion in the Portico digital preservation service. Content maybe downloaded manually to your local computer for later delivery to Portico, or may be sent directly to your account on the Portico FTP server.
Upgrade Plugin Delete Plugin
-----------------

i.e. there is no "IMPORT/EXPORT DATA" link. Trying to figure what I missed. Is there some configuration that I missed?

The only thing I can think of is that this requires the logging in to OJS as the initial installer/administrator user (which I don't have), just Site Administrator/Journal Manager permissions.

Thanks!

Larry
lpalmquist

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:48 pm

Hi Larry,

You don't see an "Enable" option there? See attached screenshot.

portico.png
portico.png (39.36 KiB) Viewed 1010 times

If not, any chance you have access to your error log or database? I can offer a few other troubleshooting options to try.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby lpalmquist » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:02 pm

No "ENABLE", I'll check logs.

Apache error_log has a whole bunch of errors about "Attribute '' in element 'xxx' not supported from htmlpurifier...

It's possible somebody played with some javascript on our test system that I didn't know about (and copied in to the upgrade).

James, TIA, but I have to leave the office now.

Larry
lpalmquist

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:35 pm

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the feedback. If you could check your database, and see if you have anything in the "plugin_settings" table that looks like so:

Code: Select all
porticoexportplugin      1   enabled   0   bool

If not, try inserting it:

Code: Select all
INSERT INTO `plugin_settings` (`plugin_name`, `locale`, `journal_id`, `setting_name`, `setting_value`, `setting_type`)
VALUES
   ('porticoexportplugin', '', 1, 'enabled', '0', 'bool');

I think the plugin just isn't properly registered; that should clear it up. Not entirely sure why it hasn't been registered, though. If you see anything in the logs that looks relevant, please let me know.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby lpalmquist » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:02 am

I looked in the database, and there was nothing like 'porticoexportplugin' (in fact, there were no rows in 'plugin_settings' with a 'plugin_name' that might be one of the import/export plugins that seem to be present in v.2.4.4-1). I performed the INSERT (using journal_id = 6, because that seems to be the journal I was working with), but there was no change (i.e. no 'ENABLE'). I restarted apache, cleared the caches and sessions, but the Plugin Management=>Import/Export Plugin screen stayed the same.

From Journal Management=>Import/Export Data=>Portico Export Plugin, the "Configure FTP" link does nothing.

"Export Issues" link brings up "Select Issue" page, with selector at bottom for "Download issues" or "FTP Issues". Selecting either generates a blank page, but generate an error_log entry about not finding class ZipArchive (getting somewhere...).

I started this assuming that our test was functional (all I had done with test before was migrate the database to a central server).

There could be more local issues, I just noticed system clock is off -- happens with older RHEL VMWare instances, will have to have central IT fix that.

Thanks.
lpalmquist

Postby lpalmquist » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:48 am

Looks like we've got some upgrading to do. We've got PHP version 5.2.18-dev installed, and there doesn't seem to be support for ZipArchive or zlib (though php.net says it's in PHP 5 >= 5.2.0).

Thanks for your help!

I'll be back when I've something concrete to report.
lpalmquist

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:50 am

Hi Larry,

Ah, I had just discovered that as well. I think that's probably the issue. My recommendation would be to upgrade your PHP if possible; delete the plugin; reinstall; and see if there's an Enable function. I'll make a note of the PHP requirement above.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby lpalmquist » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:37 am

Hi James,

Some random feedback:

It turns out that our test and production OJS virtual machines will (probably) be replaced before we actually need to perform periodic-update-to-Portico extracts from OJS, so I will wait on installing the plugin on those until we've migrated to new servers with newer "infrastructure".

As a "proof of concept", I spun up a new Ubuntu (14.04) Virtual Box LAMP server with PHP 5.5.9, and added OJS 2.4.4-1. I loaded the database with a dump from our 2.3.8 test server and ran the 2.4.4-1 update script on the database.

I uploaded the portico plugin using "Install a new plugin" function from Journal Manager and it reported success.

I was able to "export" an issue locally (granted there is only metadata on the server, no actual document objects to add to galley), but nothing happened when selecting "Configure FTP".

I performed the database INSERT into plugin_settings for the appropriate journal_id (that you provided below), and then WAS able to configure FTP settings and export/FTP directly to Portico. The links are now: DISABLE, SETTINGS, UPGRADE PLUGIN, and DELETE PLUGIN.

ENHANCEMENT REQUEST --
We export to Portico from more than one data source, and they asked us to FTP data into datasource-specific directories on their server. I made some quick and dirty changes to ftpIssue() and ftpIssues() in PorticoExportPlugin.inc.php to read a variable called $ftp_directory that I stored in plugin_settings as "porticoDirectory", and call ftp_chdir() after ftp_login() and it worked -- with (mea culpa) NO error handling whatsoever. So, the ability to set a target directory for a specific journal on the "FTP Settings" page would be nice -- I'm not a user-interface guy...
lpalmquist

Next

Return to Plugin Gallery