OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OJS Plugin: Plagiarism plugin

The Plugin Gallery is a venue for users of PKP software to share their plugins.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, John

Forum rules
If you post a plugin here, please include information on which versions of which applications it is compatible with. Attach a tarball of the plugin (e.g. tar cvzf myPlugin-0.1.tar.gz plugins/generic/myPlugin). Thanks for contributing!

OJS Plugin: Plagiarism plugin

Postby mcrider » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:46 pm

This plugin uses sends all new submissions to iThenticate, a service that checks for the likelyhood that a document is plagiarized. To use, put the plugin in your generic plugins folder. You must have a (paid) account with iThenticate to use this!

Also, this needs to be added to your main config.inc.php file:
Code: Select all
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
; iThenticate Plugin Settings ;
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

[ithenticate]

; Enable iThenticate to submit manuscripts after submit step 4
ithenticate = On

; The iThenticate API host name
host = "api.ithenticate.com"

; The username to access the API (usually an email address)
username = "yourusername@email.com"

; The password to access the API
password = "password"
Attachments
plagiarism-1.0.tar.gz
(14.16 KiB) Downloaded 473 times
mcrider

Re: OJS Plugin: Plagiarism plugin

Postby talknshare » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:58 am

Hello,
Our journal has the iThenticate service activated, and I have tried to run this plugin, but hasn't worked yet.

The information is in the config.php and all the relevant info like api address, username and password are in place.
I also tried to use a different API address "https://api.ithenticate.com/rpc" as mentioned in this document provided by an iThenticate engineer:
https://edgecastcdn.net/800404/app.ithe ... IGuide.pdf

I contacted an engineer at iThenticate to help out with the plugin, but due to the 3rd party nature of the plugin they are unable to do so.
Please let me know if the plugin is outdated or something that I need to add to the plugin.

Thanks.
talknshare

Postby Garant » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:26 pm

Hi!
I'd like to know how to modificate this plugin in order to work with multiple accounts.
The OJS serves for several journals and each individual journal has it's own account. With these settings all journals will share the one account which is not good.
Thank you!
Garant

Postby Damion » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:41 pm

I'm fairly new to OJS, but having just looked at the plagiarism plugin for a related project I can say that this would probably require a half day of customization to that code. One approach would have a settings form added to the plugin, that would list a separate username and password for each journal (as you note).

I looked for a settings form that looped through rows, closest I could find is the plugins/generic/customBlockManager/settingsForm.pl . You'd do a similar approach, but simply be generating/processing "plagiarism_[journalId]" entries that contained username and password info.

A question though for the experts. How secure is the $plugin->getSetting() function? Any concern that user id / password information could be compromised this way?
Damion

Postby asmecher » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi Damion,

The setting values are stored unencrypted in the database, so cracking into the DB would give access. However, there is no way to use another part of the system to arbitrarily fetch settings by name through the web interface, so barring malicious PHP code e.g. in a plugin, there is no way to read settings via OJS's own web interface. If possible, I would suggest storing them hashed, and of course never echoing them back to the browser.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Makso » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:46 am

Hello to everyone,

As I am new to OJS in general, this is a somewhat "naive question". I have installed this plugin and entered my username and password. Then I enabled it as Journal Manager. However, for the life of me, I cannot find where I am supposed to check a submitted manuscript. Where is the option to run a text through ithenticate? Thank you in advance...
Makso

Postby kennymatthew » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:55 pm

Makso wrote:Hello to everyone,

As I am new to OJS in general, this is a somewhat "naive question". I have installed this plugin and entered my username and password. Then I enabled it as Journal Manager. However, for the life of me, I cannot find where I am supposed to check a submitted manuscript. Where is the option to run a text through ithenticate? Thank you in advance...

; Enable iThenticate to submit manuscripts after submit step 4 ( config file)

But I cant find anything .......
kennymatthew

Postby asmecher » Tue May 28, 2013 7:53 am

Hi all,

If you've followed the instructions in README.txt but still don't see the plugin appearing where you expect it, the most likely cause is a missing entry in the "versions" table for the plugin. To generate that, run the upgrade script (php tools/upgrade.php upgrade) once the plugin is unpacked into your installation. (Please back up your database before you do this.)

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Makso » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:17 am

Hello everyone,

unfortunately, this plugin still does not work for me, although our admin did everything that was suggested.

Could someone who actually uses this plugin (successfully) tell me where and how they use it? At which stage, by clicking on what link?

Thank you
Makso

Postby Makso » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:27 am

Update: this plugin does work, after all.

I thought it didn't because there is no way of submitting an article manually; OJS does it automatically during the submission process and the article suddenly appears on your iThenticate page.

My humble advice for the developer of this plugin and its future updates would be to include an option for manual submission (by the journal manager or editor) and to find a way to filter out the references, because iThenticate indicates a much higher similarity percentage when the references are included in the submitted text.

Thanks.
Makso

Postby ramon » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:07 pm

Hello all,

I'm new to the editorial process as I have only worked with OJS on the IT side of it.
Now that I have been appointed (still waiting for the official document, though) Coordinator of our Editorial Sector, I would like to know if anyone has had any experience with iTenthicate in languages other than English?

I'll also ask, but probably elsewhere, if any in have had that experience in Portuguese...

Instituto Brasileiro de Informação em Ciência e Tecnologia - IBICT
Ministério da Ciência e Tecnologia - MCT
ramon

Postby lskibinski » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:49 am

Hi guys,

Does this code live in a source repository (Git/Bitbucket/other) somewhere?

Cheers,

Luke Skibinski
Ubiquity Press
lskibinski

Postby lskibinski » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:26 am

I've uploaded an identical version of the plagiarism attachment with the hidden mac cruft stripped out.

edit:
below is the SQL used to add an entry to the `versions` table. still having problems with this plugin - test submissions are being made with no obvious effect.

insert into versions values (1,0,0,0,'2014-01-01', 1, 'plugins.generic', 'ithenticate', 'PlagiarismPlugin',0,1);

edit2:
yeah, even after changing the 'ithenticate' path to 'plagiarism' it still doesn't work.
insert into versions values (1,0,0,0,'2014-01-01', 1, 'plugins.generic', 'plagiarism', 'PlagiarismPlugin',0,1);

or
update versions set product = 'plagiarism' where product_class_name = 'PlagiarismPlugin';

if you used the original sql.
Attachments
plagiarism-1.0.tar.gz
(13.39 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
lskibinski

Return to Plugin Gallery