OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Install a new plugin (management -> ... -> plugins)

To discuss the technical development of the Open Monograph Press.

Moderators: jmacgreg, John

Forum rules
Developer Resources:

Git: You can access our public Git Repository here. Comprehensive Git usage instructions are available on the wiki.

Bugzilla: You can access our Bugzilla report tracker here.

Search: You can use our Google Custom Search to search across our main website, the support forum, and Bugzilla.

Questions and discussion are welcome.

Install a new plugin (management -> ... -> plugins)

Postby carola » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:17 pm

Hi,

what does the installation routine in management -> settings -> website -> plugin do?

I tested it for a plugin that only needs one folder in plugins/blocks and it worked fine. But now I have a plugin analogous to the information block plugin with entries in pages, lib/pkp/templates, pkp/locale and locale, including entries in preexisting files. Is it also possible to install such a plugin? Or do I have to change the structure of the files so that all code needed is in one folder that is copies to plugins/blocks?

best,
Carola
carola

Re: Install a new plugin (management -> ... -> plugins)

Postby JasonNugent » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:34 am

Hi Carola,

Plugins are meant to exist inside a single directory, as a sub folder of the category in plugins/ they belong to. The way you get them to work with other pages in other places is through 'hooks' that the plugin needs to hook against. These are usually in 'generic' category plugins. The installation process takes a zip file, lets you upload it, and places it inside a single directory. It won't install files in multiple places.

regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby carola » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:59 pm

Thank you!

Are there any plugins (using hooks) for omp-1.1.0 I can download, install and inspect? In the galery, there only seem to be plugins for OJS.

best,
Carola
carola

Postby asmecher » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:52 pm

Hi Carola,

As far as I'm aware, there are no third-party plugins for OMP yet. It's a young application compared to OJS. The built-in plugins should serve as useful examples.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby carola » Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:14 pm

Hi,

is there a hook list for OMP? I only found one for OJS. Does the LoadHandler-hook work for OMP? When I tested it, the callback was never run, so now I use Template::Common::Sidebar.

And in the callback function, how can I change where to look for the pages? For instance, how can I make sure that the index.php in the plugin directory is called and not omp/pages/pluginname/index.php?

I tried

Code: Select all
$this->import('pages.newPlugin.NewPluginHandler');

but still omp/pages/pluginname/index.php is run.

best,
Carola
carola

Postby JasonNugent » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:10 am

Hi Carola,

There is no written list of plugin hooks for OMP yet, and even the OJS one is out of date. The best source for information is the codebase itself. You can search for 'HookRegistry' in the code to find the places where hooks are called.

If you import a class that you want to use as a handler, you can define the handler with something like:

define('HANDLER_CLASS', 'YourHandler');

An example of how this might work is in the BrowsePlugin that ships with OJS.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby carola » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:24 am

Thanks!

define('HANDLER_CLASS', 'YourHandler');

I did define it like that, and I checked the path, still it calls the handler from the wrong place. I think it's PageRouter, I will try to find out about it.
carola

Postby asmecher » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:43 am

Hi Carola,

There's no up-to-date hook list for either OJS or OMP; we found that the OJS hook documentation quickly got out of date. We're talking about ways to improve our own documentation process, but in the meantime, the code is the best reference for hooks.

As for the LoadHandler hook, it exists just like in OJS -- it's implemented in lib/pkp/classes/core/PKPPageRouter.inc.php -- but a common pitfall for writing plugins is forgetting to register the plugin with the system. To do this, put your plugin in place and ensure it has an accurate version.xml descriptor. (Use the others for a template here.) Then run...
php tools/upgrade.php upgrade
...to register all plugins with the system. (Make sure you back up your DB before you do this in case you run into trouble.)

If a plugin isn't registered with the system, it'll never get loaded, and thus hook callbacks will never be registered.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby carola » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:40 pm

Thanks, I upgraded now, but still the LoadHandler-callback doesn't work.

I tracked it down to those lines

if ($result = call_user_func($hook, $hookName, $args)) {
   break;
}

in HookRegistry.inc.php

$hookName is LoadHandler and the parameters are all correct, but the code in my callback function isn't executed and $result is false.

I register the hook:
HookRegistry::register('LoadHandler', array(&$this, 'callbackLoader'));

and implement the callback

function callbackLoader($hookName, $args) {
   $datei_handle=fopen("beta.txt","a");
   fwrite($datei_handle,"in BetaBlockPlugin->callbackLoader: ".$page['name']."  ".$this->getPluginPath()."\r\n");
   fclose($datei_handle);
   return true;
}

The same works fine with Templates::Common::LeftSidebar but not with LoadHandler.

EDIT: I tried the same with a generic plugin and it works (LoadHandler). I also didn't find a single example where a block plugin uses the LoadHandler hook.

best,
Carola
carola

Postby JasonNugent » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:05 am

Hi Carola,

Yes, it would probably need to be a Generic plugin, instead of a Block plugin. The reason is that the Generic category of plugin is loaded very early on in the PKP code stack, because it is possible to write plugin hooks against things that occur very early on (like in the page routing). Other categories of plugins, like the block plugin category, are only loaded in certain places, via the loadCategory() method in the PluginRegistry class. The reason behind this is that loading plugin categories can be an expensive operation and most plugin categories are only needed in certain areas.

If you want to be absolutely certain that you can write hooks against the plugins you want, anywhere within OJS, I'd recommend writing a generic category plugin. Otherwise, you might find that you can't intercept certain hooks unless you go and modify the OJS core code and add the necessary calls to loadCategory, but then you're modifying OJS and those customizations would need to be carried across upgrades.

Regards,
Jason
JasonNugent
Site Admin

Postby carola » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:07 am

Hi Jason,

thanks a lot, that's exactly the information I needed!

best,
Carola
carola

Return to OMP Development