OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Make OMP as part of OJS or link the both together?

For discussion of ideas, functional requirements, interests regarding the Open Monograph Press.

Moderators: jmacgreg, John

Forum rules
Please feel free to post any questions or start any discussion about OMP here. We'll let you know via this forum when OMP is ready to download and test. You may also want to keep an eye on our OMP page.

Make OMP as part of OJS or link the both together?

Postby Ojser » Mon May 14, 2012 7:32 pm

Hi,

I hope that OMP is a promising project. But I'm sorry, I'm still don't understand what is exactly its principle. Is it as an alternative text editor to make a book then publish it online, or it is rather a database to stock books, like OJS to stock journals?
Then, I am wondering if it is possible (or expected) to make OMP and OJS connected together or at least make them accessible from one interface.
As OJS is intended for journal publishing, it would also be interesting to make OMP (if I understand its objective) available as a book editor from the same interface. As such, one will have access to journals and books from one and same website.
Is such possibility intended? or OMP is intended to be stand alone?

Thanks
Ojser

Re: Make OMP as part of OJS or link the both together?

Postby asmecher » Tue May 15, 2012 8:23 am

Hi Ojser,

OMP is intended for roughly the same tasks as OJS, but for books / monographs instead of journals. Specifically, just like OJS, it's intended to help manage the submissions right from their start with the author, through the review and editorial processes, to prepare them for publication. Once that is done, it can also present them for readers (for sale or for open access publication) on a public-facing catalog and feed data to external services like Amazon through the ONIX data standard.

It does not provide an editor for the text, i.e. to actually write the content; that is done through external programs like word processors.

OJS is mature, whereas OMP is still under active development and not yet released for production use. As such, there are many parts of OMP that still need some work. It also does not have as much breadth as OJS yet for things like plugins, integration with other applications, etc.; those details will come with time.

OMP is also a testing ground for a number of user interface features that will eventually make their way into OJS to modernize it -- AJAX, JQuery, modals, grids, and more.

The software roadmaps on the wiki might also be helpful; see the various roadmaps available at http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/Main_Page#Software_Project_Pages.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Ojser » Tue May 15, 2012 10:24 pm

Thank you very much.
It looks quite interesting! I think it would also be a good idea to be able to search books and/or articles from a common interface between (OJS and OMP)!
Is there any proximate date for the first release of OMP?

Regards,
Ojser
Ojser

Postby asmecher » Wed May 16, 2012 7:28 am

Hi Ojser,

We're currently doing a first round of external testing, which could be considered alpha testing. We're targeting a release sometime this summer.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby Ojser » Wed May 16, 2012 1:00 pm

Cool! good job.
I'm keen to see it.
Thank you
Ojser

Return to OMP Discussion