OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Email to series editors when new submission arrives

For discussion of ideas, functional requirements, interests regarding the Open Monograph Press.

Moderators: jmacgreg, John

Forum rules
Please feel free to post any questions or start any discussion about OMP here. We'll let you know via this forum when OMP is ready to download and test. You may also want to keep an eye on our OMP page.

Email to series editors when new submission arrives

Postby stefan » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:37 pm

Hi,

Is it true that OMP does not send emails to series editors when a new submission arrives? This would mean that we would have to check manually every day ...

If this feature is missing one could think of two options that can be implemented:

1) email to all series editors
2) email to a designated editor

Thanks

Stefan
stefan

Re: Email to series editors when new submission arrives

Postby asmecher » Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:02 am

Hi Stefan,

A feature to allow the manager to specify an email address that should be copied on submission acknowledgment emails has already been added but has not yet been released -- it'll be in OMP 1.1. In the meantime, the quickest way to add this is to make a brief modification to classes/submission/form/SubmissionSubmitStep3Form.inc.php. Find the code that reads:
Code: Select all
$mail->addRecipient($user->getEmail(), $user->getFullName());
It should appear around line 168. Add above or below it:
Code: Select all
$mail->addRecipient('joesmith@myinstitution.com', 'Joe Smith');
...replacing the values in the quotes with the specific contact you'd like to add to the notifications.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby stefan » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:29 am

Hi,

Shouldn't this email go automatically to the series editors or maybe a predefined chief series editor, if there are several? I would not want to distribute all these emails as the press manager (we have 7 series ...).

Best

Stefan
stefan

Postby stefan » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:54 pm

Hi,

We are in the next stage now and I think there should be emails at every stage. Usually reviews of books take a long time. In the beginning a press has only few submissions. It is not practical for editors to check every day whether a review arrived. So it would be good to have a designated editor(s) that is(are) responsible for one submission and to send emails to this editor (of course this should be optional ...).

Thanks!

Stefan
stefan

Postby asmecher » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:26 pm

Hi Stefan,

Thanks -- agreed, email notifications are generally useful. We'll be working on notifications and hopefully will address this, at least partially, in the next release.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby jpowell » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:47 am

I would like to add my encouragement to address the lack of notifications in the next release of OMP. I think it is extremely important for editors to be notified of every manuscript and review upon submission. Also I would like to point out that the userguide actually says "You will be notified of completed reviews" in the 4th paragraph under the screen shot on this page http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/OMP_Us ... ing_Review.
Thanks,
Judy
jpowell

Postby jpowell » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:05 am

p.s. I should have added to my previous comment that the same erroneous statement "Once the review has been completed, you will be notified of completed reviews" also appears under External Review in the userguide - 5th paragraph under External Review/Editors: Managing Review.
Judy
jpowell

Postby bbeghelli » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi jpowell,

What the documentation says in both cases is true. OMP notifies editors on a new submission or a review completed event, by email and also internal notifications.

But you are also right to say that you don't see the emails. That's because we have an option inside the notifications settings page that you can turn it on or off (the email ones), and it is currently defaulted to off. You can access the notification settings page using the following url: http://yourdomain/index.php/yourPressNa ... n/settings (I don't think we have an user interface link to that page, that might be a bug and I will confirm that).

Regards,
Bruno
bbeghelli

Postby jpowell » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:13 pm

Thank you Bruno, we were able to access that using your suggestion. You are right that it wasn't available in the user interface that I could see. However, we are now being notified when submissions are made which is great. However, still nothing when a review is submitted.
Judy
jpowell

Postby bbeghelli » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:27 pm

Hi Judy,

In the same page you have Reviewing Events. Try to check both checkboxes there.

Regards,
Bruno
bbeghelli

Postby kbuttner » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:22 pm

Hi,
We received our first internal review. I received an automatic notification that a "reviewer had commented," however, the author also received the notification. My preferance would be that authors never receive these notifications. We contact them when we're ready to pass on the reviews with instructions.
I am able to disable the notification if I log in as the author and go to url: http://yourdomain/index.php/yourPressNa ... n/settings. But that would mean remembering to disable it whenever a new author came into the system.

Thanks,
Karen
kbuttner

Postby bbeghelli » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:45 am

Hi Karen,

I've created a bug entry for this: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=8866

You can subscribe to that bug to receive updates.

I am almost sure that we don't actually implement this functionality. Let's see what the other developers think about it and the schedule about the implementation, if it happens.

Thanks for sharing.
Bruno
bbeghelli

Return to OMP Discussion