OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Unique Sections for each issue

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Unique Sections for each issue

Postby jamief » Mon May 13, 2013 1:58 am

I have a client I am moving their previous journals into OJS for.

The journal is broad theme based. Each issue is has more specific theme, and so articles are organised into SUB SECTIONS for each issue. These subsections are not repeated, they are issue dependent.

For sections, we use the conventional Articles / Book Reviews. But in their previous issues (not using OJS), they (in html of course) put the sub sections in the TOC.

So what is the best way to handle this situation? i.e. 4 or 5 subsections specific to each issue, each year. I realise I could create the sections, and move the papers into them, but in terms of what the editors will have, I envision, after 5-8 issues that they will be seeing 50 plus sections to choose from, of which only 5 are for the current journal.

Is there a way to create a TOC with Subsections without using the section creation manager? I suppose what I am getting at is the SECTIONS of a journal are JOURNAL specific, and I want them to be ISSUE Specific. So that when we move to a future issue, the existing past issue based sections disappear from view in terms of selection.

Jamie
jamief

Re: Unique Sections for each issue

Postby vgabler » Fri May 17, 2013 8:14 am

The current version of OJS does not support issue-specific sections. The only way to accomplish the organization of sections is to use the Journal Sections feature, which applies to all issues. It would require custom coding to accomplish your goal, and it would probably be fairly complex custom work. You could build out a static page for a custom TOC with the desired subsections that would not affect the underlying functionality of the Web site, but the main TOC would still appear as is.

All best,
Vanessa Gabler
vgabler

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion