OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Display error in the preview box

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Display error in the preview box

Postby DPopa » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:18 am

Hello,

In our recently published issue there seems to be a problem in the display box that leads to the the PDF link. It is strange though that this problem occurs only in certain countries. It seems that in some countries (among which there is Poland, Italy, Greece, the US). What happens is that in the preview box it shows one and the same abstract of an articles from the published issue for all articles accessed. People in Britain, Switzerland and Australia do not seem to have this display error. I am attaching a screenshot taken by somebody in Poland. On the top you may see the name of the author whose article was selected, whereas below that you see the name of the author whose abstract keeps being displayed instead of the article meant to be open.

Could you please tell me if there is anything I can do to have a perfectly functional online journal.

Many thanks in advance,
Diana
Attachments
Display error.jpg
Display error.jpg (296.41 KiB) Viewed 768 times
DPopa

Re: Display error in the preview box

Postby asmecher » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:28 pm

Hi Diana,

I suspect the user's country is a red herring -- i.e. there's something else causing problems for certain users. I'd suggest asking the users what OS and browser and browser version they're using to see if there's a common element.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby DPopa » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:00 pm

Thank you very much for your reply. I will ask the users. The use that sent me the screen capture used Firefox as you could see.
I uploaded the pdfs of the articles in Chrom an then unpublished them and tried IE. Nothing changed for those users. I used Windows 7. Should I try uploading them on an earlier version of the operating system.

I would really like to sort this out if possible as users seem really unhappy about this...

Thank you once again for your reply.

Best,
Diana
DPopa

Postby asmecher » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:42 am

Hi Diana,

I doubt the browser used to upload the file will have any impact -- I suspect the readers' browser is the one to check.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby DPopa » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:04 pm

Thank you once again for your reply!

I checked with the users and they use different versions of Windows, including Vista and Windows 7. Most of them use Firefox, however, some said that they use Chrome...it doesn't seem to create a standard user's profile for those who keep getting this preview display error.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,
Diana
DPopa

Postby asmecher » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:23 pm

Hi Diana,

Do you have the session_check_ip option enabled in your config.inc.php? If so, could you try disabling it? Depending on the users' ISP, they may be behind a proxy farm, which would appear to the server as though they were changing IP addresses.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby DPopa » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:52 pm

The problem is that Kevin Stranack was kind enough to take care of all the technical details when setting up the journal for us. Now, I feel a bit lost that he is not available anymore as I do not know all these technical details. Sorry. is there any way , somebody from the technical team might help me with this?
DPopa

Postby marianos » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:36 am

I have a problem with the config.inc.php? I can not change the position of the tag, the proxy but do not know if it is on the server.

Ps sorry for my poor English.
marianos

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion