OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Untitled label instead of PDF

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Untitled label instead of PDF

Postby natlak » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:29 am

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone is having a problem with this: I upload a PDF file for my journal and the label with a link to the file appears to be 'untitled' instead of PDF. I used Firefox to upload and update the journal.

Thanks in advance
natlak

Re: Untitled label instead of PDF

Postby ramon » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:59 am

Hello natlak,

You may be running into the common magic.mime or server mimetypes misconfiguration.
Check this page for more info.

Instituto Brasileiro de Informação em Ciência e Tecnologia - IBICT
Ministério da Ciência e Tecnologia - MCT
ramon

Postby natlak » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:55 am

Hi ramon - thanks for your response. But I have tried that and it doesn't change anything at this moment. In fact, i have seen that suggestion before i posted this question for a forum. I have also seen that somehow if you use to upload Firefox, you could run in to such problems and have downloaded a patch to fix that up, but with no avail.

Regards,
natlak

Postby ramon » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:40 am

Hello natlak,

I'm by no means a Linux expert, so you should proceed with caution with the following, by backing up your current /usr/share/file/magic* files (or wherever they reside in your system).

The following is an answer I found at StackOverflow (a general purpose technology forum):
You can man magic for a description for how to create your own magic file. Then use file -C -m <your magic file> to compile it, and file -m <your magic file> to use it.

From what I skimmed on the web, it seems you need to recompile the magic.mime file so the changes take effect.
You may also have to restart your Apache server so it takes the changes (?).

Again, I'm no expert at this level and have currently no one to ask about this that knows more than I do (except the PKP Team).

ramon

Postby natlak » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:45 am

the IJPIS site and OJS are on Windows (Server 2008 R2) + IIS ( 7.5), not Win + Apache, I don't myself compile PHP for that, I rely on the Zend + WPI installation/package. Maybe OJS doesn't fit in there, I don't know...
natlak

Postby natlak » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:49 am

sorry, the IJPIS site is the journal site name i am working on...
natlak

Postby ramon » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:42 am

Hello natlak,

OJS fits IIS, however, I don't know about IIS and how it deals with mime types.

Check this page and the web for possible issues and solutions.

ramon

Postby raymondsutjiadi » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:33 pm

I have the same problem with my OJS 2.4.1.

On the same server there is also reside OJS 2.3.8, and i do not have any problem with the label. Everything works correctly.

Do you think that this problem is a bug for OJS 2.4.1? Is there any other solution with this?
raymondsutjiadi

Postby natlak » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:39 am

the .pdf file extension is (as by default) mapped to mime type “application/pdf” in IIS. In OJS, it is not IIS that serves the PDFs directly, it is done by PHP running under IIS. I see on the “UNTITLED” links, the url is not to like " .../xyz.pdf", so what content-type that is reported to the web browser depends on how the PHP application is coded.

I’ve checked and:
-if a PDF is served directly by IIS the content-type header is "application/pdf", just as it should be, -if served by OJS/PHP, the content-type is "application/octet-stream"

This works anyway since the web browser will also look at the filename extension and use Adobe Reader because of the .pdf extension.

But this is not the problem with the "UNTITLED" links in OJS, it has to do that PHP can't get the mime type for the file, and hence can't print the proper text "PDF" or whatever the file type is found to be. So i have no idea how to fix that? Any one there?
natlak

Postby ang2el » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:47 pm

1. Go to the Issue (if you have already published it)

2. Then go to articles

3. go to "Editing"

4. Click "edit" in Galley Format

5. There you change "PDF from "Untitled"

At least this will serve to some extent to show link for PDF instead of Untitled, it will download PDF instantly without view.

This is done in 2.4.2
ang2el

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion