OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

publishing articles on a different server?

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

publishing articles on a different server?

Postby zwhalen » Sun May 07, 2006 2:46 pm

Hello.

I hope this is the right forum for this kind of question. Sorry if it isn't.

I'm a webmaster for an online journal, and I'm considering converting from our flat-file, loosely templated (non)system of publishing articles to OJS. So far OJS looks great for what we need, but the problem is our server.

We're hosted on a University server which we don't have the ability to administer, and the server currently does not support databases or PHP (nor will it in the foreseeable future). We can get off-site hosting, but we'd rather keep the URL we've got now and there are institutional/political reasons for keeping it hosted where it is.

What I'm looking into is using OJS for submissions and review, while actually publishing the articles back on the old server. This won't be too hard from a cut-and-paste HTML point of view, but I don't know how much hacking I would have to do (for example) to make sure the metadata included the correct URLs. Also, I'm not sure how the Google Scholar gateway works, but I imagine its something like an xml document that contains all the metadata, so I could theoretically move it over and manually change all the url's?

What I'm getting at is this: 1) What would I need to tweak or change in order for OJS to function as fully as possible with the articles published in a different location and 2) Would the amount of work involved in such a setup negate the benefits of using OJS at all?

Thanks in advance for any input / suggestions.

zach
zwhalen

Postby asmecher » Mon May 08, 2006 9:43 am

Hi Zach,

You'd lose a lot of important OJS functionality like full-text searching, but it is possible to operate like you suggest. However, I'd strongly suggest finding an alternative. Have you considered proxying an external server from the University's server? This would allow you to carry on with your existing URL but run OJS from an external server you have more control over.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby zwhalen » Mon May 08, 2006 9:48 am

Thanks for the reply Alec. I've looked into various workarounds involving shtml or mod_rewrites in Apache, but I ran into problems stemming mainly from my not having permission to call the RewriteEngine. I haven't thought of actually running a proxy, and I'm not even sure how to look into that. Can you point me to something that might help or explain it more fully?
zwhalen

Postby asmecher » Mon May 08, 2006 11:21 am

Hi Zach,

I can't think of a solution that wouldn't require at least some cooperation from the University, especially if they don't support PHP. Are there any scripting languages that they support?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby zwhalen » Mon May 08, 2006 11:30 am

I do have access to Perl/CGI, but I can't run it out of the directory where the site lives, only out of personal directories (so that they're executed through a top-level CGI-wrap).

One of my ideas was to use SSI to call a cgi on my personal space which takes parameters to use a wget that reads and prints the specified OJS content. While that might work for simply accessing published files, it would present obvious problems for anything requiring cookies or any forms using POST, I would think.

Then again, as long as the cross-server business is only employed for article access and all review processing stuff is handled directly on the off-site server ... Hmm... Would that work? Sounds overly complicated.
zwhalen

Postby asmecher » Mon May 08, 2006 11:36 am

Hi Zach,

Yes, I'd definitely avoid anything so convoluted if there's a chance of fixing things politically (i.e. hosting the domain externally). However, you might be able to run a Perl-based proxy as you suggest. A reasonably mature proxy package should support cookie forwarding and other related work-arounds, and a quick Google search indicates a number of Perl-based proxies that might be suitable. It might be worth trying this approach to avoid the labour involved in manually grooming content for static hosting and loss of functionality without live processing.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion