OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Skipping peer review, _with_ supplementary material

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Skipping peer review, _with_ supplementary material

Postby ischuster » Wed May 23, 2012 3:49 am

Hi,

we want to republish preprints of already-published articles. The articles authors supply us with the preprints, statistical analysis code and raw data of their study.
The workflow is to skip peer review (because these are published articles, they have already been reviewed) and just have the editor decide what gets published.
One can skip peer review as an admin using Journal Management > Import/Export Data to publish an article. But there seems to be no way to attach supplementary material. Is there some way to skip peer review that I have overlooked?

Yours
Ingmar
ischuster

Re: Skipping peer review, _with_ supplementary material

Postby ramon » Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Hello Ingmar,

OTOH, using OJS's editorial process, all you should need to do as an Editor (section editor's need to be enabled publishing, if I'm not mistaken), is to set the Editorial decision to "Accept", then schedule the preprint to whatever issue you'd like.
Within the Edit section of the submission you can add or modify the settings for the supplementary material.

As an Editor with Author role, you can submit articles, changing the main author as you go along (only metadata, as they will be in your submission archives) and jump any unnecessary steps.
You could also create an author for that particular individual and login as that user, submit, then, go back in as Editor (logout as...) and, again, jump unnecessary steps.

If you want to import data, then I would suggest creating a sample article with all the type of info you'd like and export it.
Then, you will be able to see what kind of XML you need to create to import it back...
I think this would work....
Instituto Brasileiro de Informação em Ciência e Tecnologia - IBICT
Ministério da Ciência e Tecnologia - MCT
ramon

Postby ischuster » Tue May 29, 2012 4:25 am

Hi Ramon,

you're right in that there actually is a way to not use the review and editing process, although it might sometimes be easier to do it this way: when logged in as a user that has author _and_ editor roles, at the end of the submission process theres a link to do whats called expedited publication (http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/Importing_and_Exporting_Data#Using_the_Web-based_Expedited_Submission_Process_to_Add_Articles_Quickly). If editor and author are different users, your suggestion is the way to go of course
Still, the supplementary material doesn't show up as of yet (data files for the statistical programming language R). Any ideas?

I'll look into it in the next couple of days myself more intensely.

Regards
Ingmar
ischuster

Postby ramon » Tue May 29, 2012 5:35 am

Hello Ingmar,

Supplementary files are uploaded as an optional step (step 4) during the submission process or within the Galley section of the Editing > Layout stages of the editorial process.
You must make sure to check that supplementary files are published.
OTOH, there should be a checkbox for that (to make them available to reviewers as well as to make them public).

However, I think that readers will only be able to access those if you have the Reading Tools enabled, but I can't be 100% sure on this.
You should have a sidebar while viewing articles, which show many links to author bio, issue TOC, and other things, that must be configured as well (most are in the Reading Tools).

Instituto Brasileiro de Informação em Ciência e Tecnologia - IBICT
Ministério da Ciência e Tecnologia - MCT
ramon

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion