OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Subscription by IP address

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Subscription by IP address

Postby yen » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:58 am

Hi,

On my system, institutional users within the IP range can't login without a password, for some reason I dont know.

I've created the subscription type (also ticked " Subscribers should be validated via domain or IP authentication.")

Then I subscribed the existing user and added in the IP range.

But when I log into the site (from a corrent IP range), it prompts for a login and password. Even with the right login and no password it doesnt work.

Any suggestions?

Thank!
yen

Postby asmecher » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:54 pm

Hi yen,

Check your access settings. Here are a few things to look at:
  • The issue and article in question should be set to subscription-based. As Editor, go into Back Issues, find the issue, and check the following:
    • In Issue Data, Access should be set to Subscription and the Open access date should be set to sometime in the future.
    • In Table of Contents, Access should be set to Default for the articles you're trying to use subscriptions with.
  • Subscriptions should be enabled in the Journal Manager's Setup, step 4
  • The journal should not be set to Open Access in the Journal Manager's Setup, step 2
  • In the Access settings in Setup step 2:
    • Under Article Access, allow unregistered users to view the fulltext of published articles.
    • Under Site Access, allow unregistered users to view the journal site.
With these settings in place, IP-based subscriptions should work without requiring readers to be registered with OJS. If you're still having trouble, it may be worth looking at your server configuration -- for example, some webservers behind proxies have trouble recognizing the incoming request as being from the source IP rather than the proxy server IP.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion