OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Help for a general issue

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Help for a general issue

Postby khufu » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:40 am

I am new in the forum so, first of all, I wanna say hello to everybody.

I am trying to understand if OJS is a good solution for my needs.

I have a flow of news that enter in a specific folder (anpa or iptc format) in real time (about 500 per day).
I am wondering if OJS (or one of its plugins) can watch in this specific folder and, when the file arrive, imports it in the DB.
I would like OJS to import the content of the news not only the file so news can be searched.
From the source file I need at least the following feels ingested :
date and time
place
title
body
author
type of news (sport, economic, politic, etc..)

Is it possible with OJS?

thanks in advance

cheers
khufu

Re: Help for a general issue

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:06 pm

Hi khufu,

There is an "External Feed" plugin that will display information from RSS/Atom feeds within OJS, and you can probably use that plugin as a basis to develop a plugin to display other types of feed/format, such as anpa or iptc, but it doesn't ingest the feeds themselves. You may also want to take a look at the harvester and how its plugins connect and harvest from OAI resources. If you have any specific questions, feel free to let us know.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Re: Help for a general issue

Postby asmecher » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:18 pm

Hi khufu,

OJS is primarily a workflow tool for the publication of academic journals, and while I'm not totally sure what your goals are, I don't think they're a good match for OJS.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion