OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Possible change for OAI data

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Possible change for OAI data

Postby osborne » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:23 pm

I asked the DOAJ folks to harvest the metadata for my journal and they (a) noticed that we are using OJS and (b) suggested a change in the code to improve the listing. (They suggested an exact change, with the file, line number, and code change. Very impressive!!)

Their suggestion: include the page numbers of articles in the dc:source field. (I had noticed they were absent in our TSpace listing, but the TSpace folks didn't know how to fix the problem.)

Here's the suggested change: in ojs-2.0.2-1, edit the script classes/oai/ojs/OAIDAO.inc.php; after line number 275, which is
Code: Select all
$record->source = $row['journal_title'] . '; ' .
$this->_formatIssueId($row);

add
Code: Select all
if ($row['pages']) {
     $record->source .= ', pages ' . $row['pages'];
}

I know pretty much nothing about OAI, but I'm passing on the suggestion in case it's useful either to other users or to the development team.
osborne

Postby asmecher » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:09 pm

Hi Martin,

Excellent idea, but it breaks the consistency of some OAI feed formats e.g. RFC 1807. I'll try to include an improved implementation in the next incremental release of OJS. Feel free to sign yourself up on the CC list at http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=2119.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
Last edited by asmecher on Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
asmecher

Postby osborne » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:02 pm

Thanks---I've signed myself up.
osborne

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion