OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

HTML galley question

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

HTML galley question

Postby fematlawmember » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:31 am

Hello,
I'm a member of the editorial group putting together a new OJS journal. I've been asked to handcode the HTML galleys for all our articles but have been given no instructions about how these pages will be configured within/link with OJS. Do you have any documentation to assist with this? I have looked in the userguide and the tutorials but haven't as yet come across any detailed information to assist the layout editor preparing the html pages for the first time.

My questions include: will the HTML be pulled into an OJS frame/page (this will affect my alignment choice & whether or not I add a citation to the html etc)? I understand from your tutorials that all the galleys have to be created outside of the OJS system. Are there any plans to introduce plugins to assist with basic production of PDF and HTML galleys?

Any help you can give me would be much appreciated,

Many thanks,
Yvonne.
fematlawmember

Re: HTML galley question

Postby jmacgreg » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:50 pm

Hi Yvonne,

This is a big topic with a wide range of possible answers, but I'll try and hit the main points.

If you upload an HTML galley to OJS, it basically embeds it within the HTML page display. You can see this in effect by viewing the page source to http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/demo/present/inde ... e/view/4/7. Note that OJS doesn't strip away any duplicated HTML header code (the stuff like <html>, <head> information, etc.), so that some elements that should be unique to the page are duplicated; nonetheless, it's currently recommended practice to ensure that this code is included in your HTML galley. (We recommend that any HTML galleys should be validated before being uploaded.)

PDFs are handled differently depending on which version of OJS you are using. In older versions of OJS, they were displayed in a frame alongside the Reading Tools (if the Reading Tools were enabled); in more recent versions of OJS, they are displayed within an HTML object tag -- basically, they are embedded within the page itself, with an option to blow up to fullscreen or to download to the viewer's computer.

If you are using a fairly recent version of OJS, your authors have the option of including references separately, in which case they will be displayed on the abstract page, and separately below the HTML/PDF galleys. (OJS 2.3.3 also included a Citation Markup Assistant, which may be of use; see this page for links to further information. That page also has information on the new way of displaying PDFs.)

We eventually hope to facilitate galley creation from within OJS, but we aren't close to that yet. There is currently a plugin (called the XML Galleys plugin, that you can find from Journal Management -> System Plugins -> Generic Plugins) that can create HTML and PDF galleys from a single uploaded XML galley. It is our eventual goal to have an entire XML-publishing backend in OJS and our other applications, which will convert certain supplied document types (eg. Word/Open Office files) into XML and provide a workflow from that to publishable HTML galley, probably using elements of the XML Galleys plugin. But as I said, we're not too close to that yet.

If you have any further questions, please let us know!

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion