OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Alerts ("notify users"?)

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Alerts ("notify users"?)

Postby davidp » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:54 am

Greetings,

I thought that OJS would automatically send an alert/notification to readers when a new issue is published, but this doesn't seem to be happening. Do I have to enable this somewhere? Any leads very gratefully received...

regards,
David
davidp

Re: Alerts ("notify users"?)

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:40 am

Hi David,

In recent versions of OJS, registered users can choose to be notified of new content being published (this option is configurable from the Notifications section on the sidebar after they log in). Non-registered users can also subscribe to a mailing list for notification of new published content, from the same Notifications sidebar block. (It displays a "Subscribe to mailing list" option if the viewer isn't signed into the site.)

You can also choose to email your users manually, by signing in as an Editor and choosing the Notify Users option from the User Home page.

If you have any further questions, please let us know.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby davidp » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:44 am

Belated thanks for your reply. I have version 2.2.0 installed, and I don't see a "notifications" link on the right when I log in as a Reader. I tried "Edit my profile", but it doesn't seem to be there either. Any idea if this is because of the version, or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place? I see just the links below.

thanks,
David

Open Journal Systems
Journal Help
User You are logged in as...

* My Profile
* Log Out

Journal Content Search

Browse
* By Issue
* By Author
* By Title

Font Size Small Medium Large
Information
* For Readers
* For Authors
* For Librarians
davidp

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:29 pm

Hi David,

That's your version -- the Notifications functionality was added to OJS 2.3. I'm afraid that you'll have to upgrade to see it.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby davidp » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:42 am

OK, thanks again - I'll aim to upgrade ASAP.

David
davidp

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion