OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Spam Comments

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Spam Comments

Postby Califer » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:54 am

When looking at the abstract for an article is has an option for giving comments. I have the Captcha running, but some spam is still getting through.

Is there any way to
1. Disable comments
2. Inform the journal manager whenever a comment is posted in their journal
3. Require authorization before comments are posted.

I'm using OJS 2.2.2.0
Califer

Re: Spam Comments

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:55 am

Hi Califer,

OJS 2.2.2 is fairly old, so my memory might be a bit dim, but you should be able to find comment configuration options by logging in as a Journal Manager, and going to Reading Tools -> Reading Tool Options. We'll be adding more comment configuration functionality in the future.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby thebigaym » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:03 am

I downloaded the pdf of the OJS 2.3.3 manual, and there's not place in the manual which talks about receiving notification when a reader comments on an article.

As journal manager, I looked through the reading tools and did not find anything. We're using 2.3.6. I have these options set.

Add comment (enables readers to post comments, with Journal Manager able to delete).
Users must be registered and logged in to post, with anonymity not permitted.
thebigaym

Postby Marilee » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:46 am

I have an issue related to these earlier posts. We have noticed a growing number of bogus Readers who sign up just to promote an unrelated URL (i.e., linking scheme).

In Reading Tools -> Reading Tool Options, we are currently set to "Users must be registered and logged in to post, with anonymity not permitted." We'd like to take that a step further and see an option for "notify Journal Manager when new comment posted" -- is that possible for OJS to do?
Right now, the only solution to prevent spam is to disable all comment posting. We don't want to disable the ability to comment -- just the option of a notification of Reader comment activity. This would help monitor the spam faster.

Another way to approach this and prevent potential spammers:
In Home > User > Journal Management > Journal Setup, is there a way to separate the Readers from Authors/Reviewers? (see 4.1 Access and Security Settings > User Registration) Specifically, we would like the Authors and Reviewers to register themselves, but require the Journal Manager to register Readers.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
Marilee
Marilee

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:10 pm

Hi Marilee,

Recent versions of OJS also come with a captcha option, which can be enabled for user registration and posting comments; it must be enabled and configured in your config.inc.php file. (There's plenty of information on doing this on the forum.) You can also manage your notification settings (see http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/OJS_2.3:_What%27s_New) to email you whenever a reader makes a comment on an article. And finally, you may also want to CC yourself to this bug entry for future updates about optional JM authorization of article comments.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Changing Notification Settings

Postby thebigaym » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:30 am

I'm a journal manager.

I could not find the page to change notification settings.

Please advise.
thebigaym

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion