OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Manintain a Math Journals

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Manintain a Math Journals

Postby lightshadow306 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:16 pm

Dear All,
some guys may have the same problems. Most of mathematicians prepare their articles in latex and submit their pdf files. After the papers are aceepted for publication, they submit the latex sorce files. The editorial office may try to put pdf file or html file as galleys. But how to tranfer the latex into html ? Many people use latex2html, and it will produce a lots of gifs or pngs, which is not convinient to upload to ojs as galley. Is their any solution for it. There may be two solutions:
1. One can zip all the filesanf html as a zip file, and the OJS team design a function to deal with such a file properly.
2. Develop a function that tranfer our latex files into html while we upload a tex file as galley file ?this function plugin to tranfer tex file into html but leave the math. eqs along since a mathjax plugin can deal with them.
I don't whether these approaches possible.
Best Regards
lightshadow306

Re: Manintain a Math Journals

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:37 pm

Hi lightshadow306,

I actually wrote a MathJax plugin a little while ago that might be of some help. I haven't used the plugin on a full LaTeX-rendered galley, but I'd be interested to see how it works. You may be able to a) install the plugin; b) save the LaTeX file(s) as HTML files (which may necessitate wrapping each file with HTML headers/footers); and c) uploading said file as a galley. You may also be able to just upload the LaTeX file and have it work automatically, I'm not sure. If you could email me a copy of a file, or a demo file, I could try a few things out: jmacgreg at gmail dot com.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby lightshadow306 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:49 pm

jmacgreg wrote:Hi lightshadow306,

I actually wrote a MathJax plugin a little while ago that might be of some help. I haven't used the plugin on a full LaTeX-rendered galley, but I'd be interested to see how it works. You may be able to a) install the plugin; b) save the LaTeX file(s) as HTML files (which may necessitate wrapping each file with HTML headers/footers); and c) uploading said file as a galley. You may also be able to just upload the LaTeX file and have it work automatically, I'm not sure. If you could email me a copy of a file, or a demo file, I could try a few things out: jmacgreg at gmail dot com.

Cheers,
James

Dear jamcreg,
Thank you very much. I already sent a latex file and the corresponding pdf file toy you. :D

Best regards
lightshadow306

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi lightshadow,

Well, I had mixed success with the LaTeX file. I enabled the MathJax plugin, and then wrapped the file in HTML tags like so:

Code: Select all
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN">
<html xml:lang="en" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en"><head>
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1">

</head><body>

(... LaTeX stuff went here ...)
</body>
</html>

The MathJax plugin converted many of the equations nicely enough, but had a hard time handling straight paragraphs, and couldn't handle the preliminary formatting and newequation text whatsoever (all that stuff just displayed as plaintext).

Just uploading the LaTeX file itself results in OJS identifying it as a tex file, but OJS currently doesn't do anything special for tex files -- so it defaults to treating it like a non-HTML/PDF file, which means it prompts users to download it from the browser rather than attempt to display it inline as an HTML-type file.

So in a nutshell, users wanting to render full LaTeX files in OJS are likely to be disappointed for the time being. The MathJax plugin really does work well for blocks of LaTeX, but I suspect that it would be a fair amount of formatting work to embed a LaTeX file with HTML tags and have it render 100% nicely. I might play around with this over the next few days, and I encourage you to do so as well -- please, keep us informed on any progress that you might make! It may also be a good idea to talk with the MathJax folks/community, to see how they deal with this kind of situation.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion