OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

strip_html($err)

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

strip_html($err)

Postby ramon » Fri Oct 24, 2003 5:43 am

John and Kevin,

In some cases you have a strip_html($err) in some of the files, which removes HTML tags in variables. I believe that the HTML is important because Latin languages have special characters, and, if the system is not in the native language, the characters will not print correctly in the HTML page, or may be translated to something not understandable.

However, OJS also uses some of the variables for email messages (title is one of them I think. In portuguese it´s Título). I guess the email is output as text, so the messages are sent with the code, instead of HTML, and you can imagine what the message looks like. So, we removed all the special HTML characters in the language files, but we need a way to print them on the page when necessary.

We were thinking instead of using the strip_html, to use the htmlentities() function, so that we didn´t have to change the add special characters in the variable definitions.

Also, is it possible to use a HTML-based email system, instead of pure text? Or is my concern about HTML unnecessary?

If the special characters issue is resolved with the htmlentities, then HTML email is totally unnecessary...

thanks
ramon

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion