OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Delayed access: how to configure?

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Delayed access: how to configure?

Postby kellner » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:41 am

I am trying to configure a journal for delayed access (24 months from publication date) and am having trouble understanding the logic of the various settings available in OJS. Help would be greatly appreciated!

What is needed: delayed access for a journal that has no online subscription. More specifically: article and issue metadata is accessible to everyone, but PDFs of articles are only available to everyone (registered or not) after 24 months.

What I determined so far:

- Technically it seems necessary to have a subscription manager and make use of the subscription module in order to set delayed access > ok.
- As subscription manager under "subscription management", I can set subscription policies. I have checked "Delayed Open Access" and selected 24 months. However, this did not have the desired effect. Past issues are not available open access; all issues are displayed with "subscription access".
- Access options can also be set for issues individually under Issue > Issue data. Two options can be set: Access status ("Subscription/Open Access") and "Open access date", the latter with a checkbox "Enable delayed open access". To enable delayed open access, I have to check the latter, enter a date, and at the same time select "Subscription". (Otherwise, "Open Access" overrules.) This works, but it is cumbersome to have to do this manually on a per-issue basis.

Did I miss something? Some setting that makes it possible to have delayed access applied across the board, without having to set it manually for each issue?

Thanks in advance,
kellner

Re: Delayed access: how to configure?

Postby jmacgreg » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi Kellner,

First off -- while you can certainly make use of a unique Subscription Manager to manage your subscriptions, your Journal Manager(s) can basically act as one themselves.

Regarding the larger setup issues: when you set your default subscription access policies, those policies will definitely go into effect for any future issues; but may not do so for past issues. Which version of OJS are you using? I can provide a bit more guidance/troubleshooting with that information.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby kellner » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:45 am

Hi James,

thank you! The version is 2.3.1.2.

One of the further settings that may affect this is Journal Management > Access and Security Options (open access or subscription access). This is currently set to subscription access.

We are importing back issues, as well as the current issue, into the system in one go. Maybe if we set the delayed access settings before the import, they would then get applied? (So I hope ...)

Best,

Birgit Kellner
kellner

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:23 am

Hi Birgit,

If you are importing via the XML Articles & Issues import plugin, you can also set the access date in the XML. The following will set the access date for an issue at January 1st, 2001:

Code: Select all
<access_date>01-01-2001</access_date>

You can take a look at how this is done in the sample XML file included with the plugin (in plugins/importexport/native/sample.xml).

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion