OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Late Addition of Supplementary Material

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Late Addition of Supplementary Material

Postby janer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:00 am

Hi,

Please can you help me with this logistical problem - I have several papers currently giving me this headache!

When a paper has been uploaded by an author, which refers to additional material (tables) held online by their parent organisation, and my Editors want all such additional material also published as Supplementary Material on our website and referenced as such in the paper, how can we or the author (preferably) introduce the material (available as a Word or pdf document) into the workflow, when it wasn't uploaded with the original paper?

Thanks very much,

Janer
janer

Re: Late Addition of Supplementary Material

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:36 pm

Hi Janer,

Authors (and Editors) can upload supplementary files by going to the submission's Summary page, and clicking the "Upload Supplementary File" link. Of course, Authors can't do this once an article has been published -- at this point, an Editor will have to step in. The Layout Editor will then have to ensure that a proper link to the file is embedded into the HTML file, etc. -- you can search the forum for information on this.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby phil » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:14 pm

Authors (and Editors) can upload supplementary files by going to the submission's Summary page, and clicking the "Upload Supplementary File" link.

James;

for some reason our Authors are not able to "Add a supplementary file" on the Summary page, after they have completed their submission. Yes the Editor can. In fact, at "Step 5 Confirming the Submission" of the submission process we have introduced text to the effect of "NOTE: Once you click on Finish Submission, you will NOT be able to go back and make changes to your submission. Please therefore ensure that you have uploaded all of your documents, and that you have removed all identifying information from any documents that are intended for peer review."

So - the Author can return to Edit Metadata, but is unable to upload Supplementary Files. This must be in part the early rationale for including the above Note on our Step 5. But, I see here that the Author should be able to return to do this. I don't see any switches in Journal Setup that enables/disables this ability. Where then might I look to "turn" this on?

Thanks James,

/phil
phil

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi Phil,

Huh, that's strange -- authors should definitely have access to that link, and I don't think there's any way of disabling it via the GUI. Have you folks perhaps disabled it by editing the author's Summary template at some point? Which version of OJS are you on now?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion