OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

How to include custom tags in abstracts?

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

How to include custom tags in abstracts?

Postby Hankyaku » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:00 am

Hi there,

in order to get our journal registered to Google scholar we need to include custom tags into the HTML version of the abstract so that it can be cited using various software. There are some tags there already, but not exactly what I need.
Could you write me how can I include the required custom tags in the HMTL abstracts generated automatically by the OJS?
Thank you very much!

Han
Hankyaku

Re: How to include custom tags in abstracts?

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:56 pm

Hi Han,

Could you tell us which version of OJS you are using, and which custom tags you want included? I believe more recent versions of OJS already have all custom tags Google Scholar requires included automatically -- see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3609 and more specifically http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=5191. You can also add more custom tags if need be in Journal Setup Step 1.8, although they will appear in all pages, or alternatively by editing templates/article/header.tpl and adding them directly to the template.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby Hankyaku » Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:49 pm

Hi there James,

I think you've just given me the answer I need! :)
I use 2.3.1.2 right now, so I see that there are tags in the HTML code. I also think I found the "citation_xxx" type fields. I was confused as I use Zotero (a freeware referencing software) and I couldn't get a good citation. But that's not a problem of the OJS but of Zotero.

So thank you for the info about the template! It'll certainly be useful in the future.

Han
Hankyaku

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:15 pm

Hi Han,

Hrm, that's a strange one -- we actually include a CoiNS plugin that works quite well with Zotero -- you should get a "Save to Zotero" kind of button in your location bar when viewing an abstract or a full-text article. You may want to check that the CoiNS plugin is installed and enabled -- check in Journal Management -> System Plugins -> Generic Plugins.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby Hankyaku » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:27 am

Great comment, thank you very much!
I enabled the plugin and now everything is all right! :D

I'm still waiting for the response from Google Scholar, I hope everything will be okay. I did not have to set anything nor do I have a robots.txt. Do you think it's advisable to have one?
Hankyaku

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:19 pm

Hi Han,

I don't think it's particularly necessary, at least for the purposes of Google Scholar. There are likely better SEO sages on the web than myself, though. :D

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion