OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OJS2 port for FreeBSD

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

OJS2 port for FreeBSD

Postby ripnix » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:00 am

Hi there! Just finished porting ojs-2.0.2 to FreeBSD. All I have to do is to submit it. But before doing it are there any security besides this one:
Code: Select all

--- ojs2-old/pages/admin/AdminHandler.inc.php   2005-08-31 20:21:49.000000000 -0700
+++ ojs2/pages/admin/AdminHandler.inc.php   2006-01-05 13:16:33.000000000 -0800
@@ -33,7 +33,7 @@
     */
    function validate() {
       parent::validate();
-      if (!Validation::isLoggedIn('admin') || Request::getRequestedJournalPath() != 'index') {
+      if (!Validation::isSiteAdmin() || Request::getRequestedJournalPath() != 'index') {
          Validation::redirectLogin();
       }
    }

I'd also like to know other mirrors for ojs2 source (if there are any).
Thanks to you all.
Filipe
ripnix

Postby asmecher » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:01 pm

Hi Filipe,

Could you send a diff -u against the stock distribution of OJS 2.0.2-1 to pkp-support@sfu.ca? As far as I was aware, OJS 2.0.2-1 should have worked on FreeBSD out of the box, but we haven't tested on it specifically.

The patch you mentioned above is the only security patch. This site is currently the only distribution point for OJS.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby ripnix » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:50 am

Could you send a diff -u against the stock distribution of OJS 2.0.2-1 to pkp-support@sfu.ca?

Actually there are no changes to the stock distribution:)
All I did was the FreeBSD Community procedure to have OJS available in the FreeBSD Ports tree. Here all you have to do is "cd /usr/ports/www/ojs2/" and then "make install". Then it fetches the source from your distribution point, prompts for 2 options: MySQL and PostgreSQL to choose the database engine and then installs ojs and all dependencies needed (incl. PHP,Apache,...). After that all you have to do is to point you browser to the ojs subdir. and create the files subdir with the right permissions. "public" is already availabe with the right permissions:)

As far as I was aware, OJS 2.0.2-1 should have worked on FreeBSD out of the box, but we haven't tested on it specifically.

Actually it works really nice on FreeBSD on a production server I administer.

If there's anything else I should know please let me know, else I'll submit the port.
Regards,
Filipe Rocha
ripnix

Postby asmecher » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:24 am

Hi Filipe,

Glad to hear it. Thanks for your contribution!

If you're willing to wait until the end of the month, we'll be releasing OJS 2.1. Apart from a couple of minor changes to the required file permissions, it uses the same installation process; there are many new features and bug fixes since our last release.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby ripnix » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:09 am

asmecher wrote:Hi Filipe,

Glad to hear it. Thanks for your contribution!

If you're willing to wait until the end of the month, we'll be releasing OJS 2.1. Apart from a couple of minor changes to the required file permissions, it uses the same installation process; there are many new features and bug fixes since our last release.

Regards,
Alec Smecher

There's no need to wait 'till the end of the month. By there I'll upgrade the port to 2.1. All I ask is for you to tell me whenever a new version is out.
Thanks,
Filipe
ripnix

Postby asmecher » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:16 pm

Hi Filipe,

We'll be posting announcements on the forum and website; in addition, we've just added a registration form for OJS updates. See http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/register. The mailing list will be very low-volume -- security notices, release information, and the odd news bulletin about PKP software.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion