OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Hosting companies

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Hosting companies

Postby dmorrow » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:42 am

I've had difficulties with my current host and installing OJS 2.0.
Can anyone recommend a host that has been compatible?
Thanks
dmorrow

Postby asmecher » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:22 pm

Hi dmorrow,

Sorry to hear you've been having trouble...

As I recall, you were encountering problems with the server's PATH_INFO setup. We've got a work-around for poorly-configured servers in place for the forthcoming OJS 2.1, which we're hoping to release at the end of the month.

Another way of finding supported hosting companies is to search Google for "Open Journal Systems". Find someone who's running version 2.x and do a whois on their domain to find out who's hosting.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby dmorrow » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:29 pm

Alec
How should I configure my PATH_INFO?
Is it a requirement for OJS 2.0 that I have root level permissions in Apache? If so, then OJS will typically not work in a shared server environment, and I will upgrade to a virtual private host.
If you could update the FAQ with the requirements and assumptions you are making that would be helpful, as I have been going back and forth with hosting companies and would prefer not to open a new account to find that OJS doesn't work with their configuration.
Thanks again

danny
dmorrow

Postby asmecher » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:16 pm

Hi dmorrow,

My mistake, I've just searched the archives for the trouble you were having and it's not related to PATH_INFO. (This is by far the most common problem people have with shared providers, and it's actually a server misconfiguration.) We don't require root access for anything and we do have users in shared hosting environments. The one example that comes to mind is a user hosting with ipowerweb.net.

Are you still having the same problems with reference errors? Those should be easily correctable; if you can provide details (emailing me personally if it's anything critical) I'd be happy to help.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

hosting

Postby geoffrey » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:12 am

Hi dmorrow,

I host an ojs site--version 1.27---but I would be happy to host an ojs
for you with latest version. My charges would include setting up the site for
you. $250 for a years hosting including say 2 hours of support after install.

I run a small scale hosting company running mostly educational open
source software.

Geoffrey
Sydney Web Hosting
geoffrey

hosting at Lunarpages

Postby delong » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm

Lunarpages has been great so far as a host.

http://www.lunarpages.com

The basic shared hosting plan is 7.95/mo for 5 gigs of disk and 400 gigs of transfer, and all the bells and whistles. You can also use your own custom php.ini and .htaccess files that overide the system-wide settings.

There were some DOS attacks in December and early January that caused some of their network to briefly bog down, but overall their performance has been great and the support is quick and helpful.

FYI - my journal is Extra Muros: Utah Journal of Critical International Law at the University of Utah, in case you want to watch for our first issue in May or thereabouts. :)

http://www.extramuroslaw.org
delong

Postby ibizatown » Sat May 27, 2006 6:35 am

Hi,

Can anyone give names of more hosting companies that are capable of hosting the OJS script as well as installing it?

It would be great help for us.
ibizatown

Postby asmecher » Sat May 27, 2006 1:22 pm

Hi ibizatown,

The Simon Fraser University library offers OJS hosting services including installation -- see http://software.lib.sfu.ca/support.html for more information.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Postby ibizatown » Sat May 27, 2006 4:23 pm

Hi Alec,

The costs for hosting the script @ US$750 is relatively more expensive than any other hosting companies. A fairer fee would be US$100 per year for hosting and another $100 for installation the script.

I suspect that the majority here are using other hosting companies to host the script. I would like you to name some of these hosting companies so that i can compare the prices :)
ibizatown

Postby asmecher » Mon May 29, 2006 9:30 am

Hi Ibizatown,

The SFU Library is offering installation, administration, support, and hosting; this is a much more comprehensive set of services than a typical hosting company offers. The most inexpensive approach would be the self-serve approach with a standard hosting provider, but I'm not specifically familiar with any who will take on the software installation. When choosing, make sure they meet the requirements outlined in docs/README.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion