OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Proofreading Brickwall

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Proofreading Brickwall

Postby dcwyant » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:46 am

I've hit a brick wall trying to understand the last automated e-mail to authors asking them to review the galley version of the article. The URL opens on a Summary page and does not display the proofing instructions or the proof corrections box referred to in the e-mail.
I've searched the forum and can't find an answer.

Second question.
I've uploaded a pdf as a final galley version. Went through the steps of creating an issue, assigned the article to the issue. But when the issue is published, even though the title shows up in the table of contents as a clickable bar, the pdf does not open. What am I doing wrong?

Help! I've got a Committee on Publications breathing down my neck!
Diane
dcwyant

Re: Proofreading Brickwall

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:56 pm

Hi Diane,

Regarding the first question: you may want to revise the Prepared Email to say that the Author must click on the Editing tab to see the proofing section. I have also posted this as a bug report: see http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=5502, and please feel free to CC yourself for future updates.

Regarding the second question: can you elaborate on exactly what is going on: do you see a link to a PDF next to the title? Are you sure you uploaded the file as a galley file under Editing? And are there any access restrictions in play?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby dcwyant » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:52 am

I figured out the missing step in the prepared email by going to the OJS test drive site and submitting a manuscript and walking it through the process as editor and author.
The pdf non-upload was also on the OJS test drive site--would that site prevent the pdf from uploading? I wanted to publish a dummy issue before I did the "real deal" that could be unpublished.
On the OJS test drive site, I uploaded a pdf as the Galley File, sent the Author Proofreading notification, replaced the galley pdf with a revised pdf (I was playing by all the rules, no short cuts).When I tried to upload the final layout version I got the error message:
Edit a Layout Galley

Errors occurred processing this form:
• ##submission.layout.galleyLocaleRequired##

I'd gladly supply the required information if I knew what that message meant!

Despite the error message, the pdf file show up under the View Proof bar.
When I created an issue, the cover photo showed up and clickable title articles were in the table of contents but clicking through opened to a page with the title, abstract, no link to a pdf, and the lower half of page "No Refbacks."
In the Create Issue stage, I could not click the Proofed box for the articles even though they had been through all the proofing steps with all the Completed tags clicked.

Is there any way I can test the platform with our journal without publishing a mess? Your help will be greatly appreciated --I'm about ready to quit my job out of frustration with this project.
dcwyant

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:19 am

Hi Dcwyant,

Can you provide me with a direct link to the journal/articles on the test drive that you are testing with?

Regarding testing on your own site: you can always create a dummy journal to test with, and delete it later. You can also choose not to list the journal publicly when you create it through the Site Admin interface, so people won't see it when viewing your site.

Also, please don't post the same question multiple times -- we see everything that's posted on the forum, and respond as soon as we can.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby dcwyant » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:40 pm

Sorry about the multiple posts.
Here's the link to the test drive journal (Case Studies) and article
http://pkp.sfu.ca/ojs/demo/testdrive/in ... diting/208

I don't have Site Admin status on our journal, so I don't know if I can create a dummy journal for testing. I was handed the project with the site established (jsswr.org) and have successfully modified the existing pages.

New problem today: 3 authors viewed their final galleys, but the system has allowed me to put only one into final proofreading. All authors used the e-mail response to note changes. Two articles need no changes, so the pdf will stay the same. What step have I missed?

Many thanks,
Diane
dcwyant

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:59 pm

Hi Diane,

Regarding the first set of problems: You're running into a bug with OJS 2.3.0 that should be fixed in more current versions of OJS. I'll ask our devs to update the testdrive install to a more recent version. The problem is that the galley edit process is not being completed, because it's hanging on the galley locale problem; and so there's no complete galley in the system for OJS to display in the table of contents.

The locale problem was that you needed to choose a proper locale for the galley file to be associated with, but that the journal didn't have locales properly configured. To fix this problem in the testdrive, I logged in as a journal manager, and from your journal's Languages page I made sure at least one locale was checked for both UI and Forms (in this case, English). This allowed the galley upload/edit process to go ahead properly, which in turn allowed for a galley to be available from the ToC. I've left a demo galley file up there for you to take a look -- try uploading a new one as well. I haven't deleted your original, which appears as a "PDF ()" galley format.

More recent versions of OJS handle an unset journal Languages page more gracefully -- it allows whatever is configured as the default locale (English by default) to be used.

Regarding your proofreading problem: what do you mean by final proofreading -- enabling the copyeditor and/or layout editor proofreading (steps 2 and 3 under Proofreading)? Which proofreader option have you chosen under Journal Management Setup Step 4.7?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby dcwyant » Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:49 am

The proofreading option we selected for the Galley stage is to assign a proofreader and have authors proof galleys, too. I've used the automated e-mail feature to ask authors to review their galleys, and authors have successfully used the proofing corrections e-mail to send back corrections. However, even after author's have responded, the Proofreading section of the Editing page for 2 of 3 manuscripts hasn't advanced to the next step of letting me assign the proofreader and final layout editor. Perhaps because I can't go through those steps, when I create an issue, I can't check the Proofed box in the issue's table of contents. I don't know if those skipped steps and boxes will prevent the pdf from uploading. I'm really worried about hitting the Publish this Issue button and having a dud that I can't delete.
dcwyant

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:56 pm

Hi Diane,

First, to assuage your fears -- if you publish the issue and it doesn't look the way you want it, you can always unpublish it by finding the issue in the Back Issues listing, and clicking the Unpublish Issue button on the Table of Contents page. The issue will be removed from the public listing, and will be moved to the Future Issues page, where it can be published later. The items won't be removed.

Regarding the "Proofed" checkbox: there's no way for you to manually check that off. It only appears checked once all steps of the proofreading process have been completed. Non-completion of the proofreading process won't affect publishing PDFs in any way, so long as you've fixed the locale problem above and are able to step through the entire galley edit process.

Regarding starting step 2 of the proofreading process: have you assigned a proofreader to the submission? You'll need to do that before Step 2's email icon is activated. You can assign a proofreader by clicking the "Assign Proofreader" link in the Proofreading section.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion