OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Why do articles reviewer declined to review remain "Act

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Why do articles reviewer declined to review remain "Act

Postby osborne » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:02 pm

Is there a reason that the articles a reviewer has declined to review remain on the reviewer's "Active" page? Shouldn't they go to the reviewer's "Archive" page?
osborne

Postby John » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:44 am

Yes, they should go into the Archive file, immediately on sending the "decline" email. Will look into posting a Bug report on this.
John

Postby osborne » Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:07 pm

Thanks. (I wasn't sure if it was a bug or intended behavior.)
osborne

Re: Why do articles reviewer declined to review remain "Act

Postby yaliang » Fri May 15, 2009 8:56 am

Dear John,

Recently, we upgrade our system (version 2.2.2.0) with a clean package downloaded from your website. Strangely, the problem mentioned in this post occurred in the new version. Is it the same problem? Or is there any new setting in 2.2.2.0? Could you give me some suggestion to solve this problem. Thank you very much.

Regards,

Yaliang
yaliang

Postby fireport » Mon May 18, 2009 6:37 am

I have the same problem with 2.2.3. It's very annoying...
fireport

Postby jmacgreg » Tue May 19, 2009 6:35 pm

Hi all,

http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=1944 seems to be the original bug report for the 2.1 line, and it was at one point fixed. I'm not replicating this with OJS 2.2.3: can you give me a bit more information on what exactly is happening, ie. is the reviewer declining for themselves or is the editor declining for them; or whether it's the editor cancelling the review.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby aseidman » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:50 am

It happens when the reviewer declines.
Alan
aseidman

Postby aseidman » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:51 am

It happens when the reviewer declines. It leaves the article summary page but under the reviewer it remains active.
Alan
aseidman

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:19 pm

Hi Alan,

I still can't replicate this. Are you using 2.2.3? Is there any way you could register me with your journal and send me a test review? If so, please PM or email me credentials to test.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby JohnGrobler » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:11 am

Hi James,

Were you able to replicate the problem reported in this ticket? We are experiencing a similar issue on OJS 2.2.4.0:

On the Home > User > Editor > Submissions > #number > Review > Reviewers screen, it shows the number 2 under ACTIVE for a certain reviewer, but when we click on this reviewers name (which takes us to the Home > User > Reviewer > Active Submissions screen), no submissions are listed, because the two review requests were denied by the reviewer.

Thank you,
John Grobler
JohnGrobler

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:55 am

Hi John,

I didn't hear back from Alan about his issue, and I'm not sure if it's entirely related to yours. The reason you see the discrepancy is because the Editor's Select Reviewer page counts all declined requests *for that particular submission* as well -- that is, your reviewer declined that submission, but for all intents and purposes is still considered active/assigned for the submission. This is to ensure that you don't accidentally attempt to reassign him. He'll be considered active/assigned to that submission, even if he declined, until the submission goes to another round of review, at which point he'll be free to be reassigned.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby JohnGrobler » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:05 pm

Hi James,

Thank you for the feedback. In the Notes section underneath the list of reviewers is states "Active is how many reviews are currently being considered or underway." which does not seem to be the case if declined requests are also counted as active. This creates the impression with the editor that the reviewer still has one or more "active" reviews, whilst it is not the case, and so the reviewers is omitted for a new review.

Will this be changed in a future version of OJS or would it be possible to modify some code to exclude declined requests from the Active sum?

Thanks,
John Grobler
JohnGrobler

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:00 pm

Hi John,

Apologies for the delay in replying. I personally think that the queues need to be fairly comprehensively evaluated and overhauled -- there are definitely areas in which they could be improved, this case being a good example. We've been staying away from making minor changes in the assumption that this will happen sooner or later, along with an eventual wholescale UI overhaul, but this might still be down the road. If you need a more immediate answer, just let me know and I'll pass this on to a developer.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:12 pm

Hi John,

Actually, Alec just said that he'd be happy to add this to version 2.3.3, which is currently undergoing pre-release testing. See http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=5755.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby asmecher » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:04 pm

Hi John,

It turns out that bug has already been fixed in anything since OJS 2.3.0; I've marked James' new entry as a duplicate. You should be able to find the old entry including a patch from there.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion