OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Author access to copyedit

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Re: Author access to copyedit

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:34 am

Hi Rick,

What you've done sounds right to me. You do need to make sure that any new configuration directives in 2.2.4 make it into your old config.inc.php; this is outlined in docs/UPGRADE:

Be sure to review the Configuration Changes section of the release notes in docs/release-notes/README-(version) for all versions between your original version and the new version. You may need to manually add new items to your config.inc.php file.

... but it looks like you have accounted for this. You don't need to do anything to/with config.TEMPLATE.inc.php.

And yes, if you don't need the other languages, you can go ahead and delete them.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby RickMath » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:10 pm

James

The test version of 2.2.4 seems to work OK. The issues in this post seem to be resolved. I ran a test manuscript thru the 2.2.4 system and all seemed OK. The only thing that did not update in the database was the version information.

Now my plan is to change the url on the server from 224 to just the previous version. I will rename the old 2.2.2 version.

I had to do a manual install as I ran into an email address problem when doing the install. Maybe this was because I used the old MySql database in the install. Who knows.

For now I will just rename the OJS folder and revise the items in config.inc.php to get me back to the original MySql database.

The only problem I have had is making the footer in the LOOK centered. It does not seem to take and save html code such as <center>

Thanks for your guidance and help. Any comments on the above are appreciated.

Rick
RickMath

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:26 pm

Hi RIck,

-- when you change the URL, don't forget to update base_url in config.inc.php;

-- not entirely sure about the email problem during install, but if it's all up and running now, I wouldn't worry too much about it;

-- regarding centering text: TinyMCE actually strips a fair bit of code during processing, so if you run into problems with one way of doing something, there may be another. I just did a quick test, and it looks like <p style="text-align:center;">... some centered text ...</p> works (and it's probably the more "correct" way to do it, too! :D).

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby RickMath » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:31 pm

:D :D :D

Hi James

As always thanks for your help. Everything seems to work great.

I was able to get linked back to original MySql database.

I think the email problem was due to the fact that my admin email address was already in the database. No worries as everything is working fine.

Your suggestions on the centering problem worked just fine. Seems to me that I saw something on TinyMCE in a post somewhere but can't remember where.

So now I have 2.2.4 active. Once again I apologize for being such a nervous nellie. Lot's of hours have worked well.

The only remaining question is whether scheduled tasks works in 2.2.4 I have not seemed to see that work for things like reminders, etc. It is turned on in the config file and I have a cron job set on my server.

For now just a giant thank you for your help. :D Again

Rick
RickMath

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:26 pm

Hi Rick,

Glad to hear that almost everything is working well! Regarding the scheduled_tasks issue: I don't recall and can't find any issues with it and OJS 2.2.4, and we're using it fine in our own hosted environment. You may want to create a demo cron job and see if that's working as it should, and then check your configuration for the scheduled_tasks job in particular.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby RickMath » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:48 pm

I have encountered a new problem related to the author copy-edit. Hopefully it OK to post it here rather than starting another thread.

Here is what is happening. I asked an author to upload a copy edited file. The author did so and it not appear to me or the author under step 2. The author tried several times and reported nothing was showing.

Finally when I checked under the Journal Manager role in Files Browser the files were in fact in the system. I uploaded the file with my Editor Role and it was displayed in Step 2 to me and the author.

What can we do to resolve this apparent bug? For now I can upload the file sent to me through email outside the OJS system, but I would really like to have the authors do this.

Thanks in advance for your great help.

Thanks

Rick
RickMath

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:35 pm

Hi Rick,

Can you give us more detail on what kind of response the author was getting when they tried to upload a copyedited file (and also, verify exactly where the author was uploading this file)?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby RickMath » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:59 pm

Hi James

Thanks for your reply.

The author was on the Editing page and uploaded the file in stage 2 in the COPYEDITING section. After uploading the file, nothing appeared in the refreshed page under step 2. The file did get uploaded when I checked the files.

It works fine and the uploaded file appears under step 2 when I upload the file as Editor.

Can I provide anything else? I have already uploaded the file that the author sent me so I will have to do some testing with a test submission as an author to provide some screen shots.

I hope we can get this diagnosed.

Let me know what else I can do.

As always KUDOS to the PKP team.

Rick
RickMath

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:19 pm

Hi Rick,

Have you made any changes to that page at all? I haven't heard of anything even approximating this kind of error before, outside of possibly viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5541.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby RickMath » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:35 pm

Hi James

I have not made any changes since upgrading to 2.2.4

What else can I provide to help diagnose this? Are there any file that I can check to see if they were blank as happened in 2.2.2 (see June posts).

Thanks for your help
Rick
RickMath

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:33 pm

Hi Rick,

Screenshots would help -- and if you can swing me temporary access to your test submission, I wouldn't mind running a quick test. If you can, please PM me the URL and credentials.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Previous

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion