OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Author access to copyedit

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Author access to copyedit

Postby RickMath » Mon May 24, 2010 2:49 pm

James

When I log in as an author and either click on Queued for Editing or click on the paper title and then on Editing I get a blank screen.
I just tried again and the only items in the error logs on my server were these.

[Mon May 24 17:15:15 2010] [error] [client 72.148.226.15] File does not exist: /home/jamtorg/public_html/404.shtml
[Mon May 24 17:15:15 2010] [error] [client 72.148.226.15] File does not exist: /home/jamtorg/public_html/favicon.ico
[Mon May 24 17:15:05 2010] [error] [client 72.148.226.15] File does not exist: /home/jamtorg/public_html/404.shtml
[Mon May 24 17:15:05 2010] [error] [client 72.148.226.15] File does not exist: /home/jamtorg/public_html/favicon.ico

There was nothing as of today in the error log file in the OJS path. Here are the most recent entries since I started to try the copy edit process.
[12-May-2010 00:14:50] PHP Fatal error: Call to undefined method SectionEditorSubmission::getUserBySignoffType() in /home/jamtorg/public_html/OJS/classes/submission/sectionEditor/SectionEditorAction.inc.php on line 1903
[17-May-2010 13:05:57] PHP Warning: Illegal offset type in isset or empty in /home/jamtorg/public_html/OJS/classes/submission/sectionEditor/SectionEditorAction.inc.php on line 1846
[17-May-2010 13:05:57] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/jamtorg/public_html/OJS/classes/submission/sectionEditor/SectionEditorAction.inc.php:1846) in /home/jamtorg/public_html/OJS/classes/template/TemplateManager.inc.php on line 240
[17-May-2010 13:05:57] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/jamtorg/public_html/OJS/classes/submission/sectionEditor/SectionEditorAction.inc.php:1846) in /home/jamtorg/public_html/OJS/classes/template/TemplateManager.inc.php on line 243
[17-May-2010 13:05:57] PHP Warning: Illegal offset type in isset or empty in /home/jamtorg/public_html/OJS/classes/submission/sectionEditor/SectionEditorAction.inc.php on line 1846
[17-May-2010 13:05:58] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/jamtorg/public_html/OJS/classes/submission/sectionEditor/SectionEditorAction.inc.php:1846) in /home/jamtorg/public_html/OJS/classes/template/TemplateManager.inc.php on line 240
[17-May-2010 13:05:58] PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/jamtorg/public_html/OJS/classes/submission/sectionEditor/SectionEditorAction.inc.php:1846) in /home/jamtorg/public_html/OJS/classes/template/TemplateManager.inc.php on line 243
[22-May-2010 17:05:03] PHP Fatal error: Call to a member function getPath() on a non-object in /home/jamtorg/public_html/OJS/cache/t_compile/%%F3^F32^F3218F1A%%siteMap.tpl.php on line 37

Also after the submission was accepted and I went to the copy-edit page there was no box to upload a revised file as shown in the OJS documentation. I have attached a screen print of the copy-edit page as displayed for me as the editor.

Please let me know what else I need to do to provide information.

Thanks

Rick
Attachments
Copyedit Page.GIF
Copyedit Page.GIF (52.48 KiB) Viewed 1521 times
RickMath

Re: Author access to copyedit

Postby jmacgreg » Wed May 26, 2010 10:52 am

Hi Rick,

Could you provide us with a stacktrace as well, if possible?

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby RickMath » Wed May 26, 2010 2:15 pm

James

I turned on the stack-trace in config.inc.php

Nothing showed up when I replicated the problem. Where do I look for the results? The is nothing in the error log.

Thanks

Rick
RickMath

Postby RickMath » Wed May 26, 2010 6:48 pm

James

Still not able to see anything as a result of turning stacktrace on.

When I get the blank page in IE7 here is the page source code
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=utf-8"></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

Hopefully this helps.

Rick
RickMath

Postby RickMath » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:39 am

:D :D

James

I believe my problem is solved.

Through some experimenting and noticing that the blank page was displayed in the path /author/submissionediting/23 I searched around in the templates. The file author/submissionEditing.tpl was found to be empty.

I went to the CVS repository and copied Revision 1.26 into the empty file and saved it.

Now going back to the system and logging in as the author everything appears to be OK.

I will need to wait for another acceptance to see if the editor can upload an initial copy-edit file. This was the only other feature that did not work when the submission was sent to copy-edit. If I get time I will run a test manuscript through the system and hopefully be able to completely delete it.

I have no idea why the tpl file was empty as nothing has been done to any templates in this area. Hopefully if others experience this problem they can find this useful.

Thanks for all you do on the PKP team. Once again kudos to everyone.

Rick
RickMath

Postby RickMath » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:37 pm

Hi James

Well the blank page problem is solved as stated above. With a new acceptance, the author upload of the copy-edit file in Step 2 does not seem to work. The author browsed for a file and clicked upload. Nothing showed up as an upload. I tried it logged in as the author and then clicked on the icon to the right in Step 2. The history shows that a file was uploaded but nothing shows up.

I had the author email me the file and I saved it to my local machine. I tried to upload it as an editor with the Step 2 radio button checked. Again nothing showed up. Then I clicked complete and the file showed up in both the author copy-edit and the final copy-edit.

I hope that I can get this resolved soon as we have several accepted submissions about ready to be moved t the copy-edit phase. Maybe there is something that I do not understand.

Thanks

Rick
RickMath

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:27 am

Hi Rick,

I can't seem to replicate this. If you are/were missing a file, you may want to check that other files aren't also missing -- this can sometimes happen with a botched/incomplete FTP upload, but is hard to detect until you start running into problems. Also, unless you have a specific reason to go with a newer file (eg. for a bug fix) I'd recommend sticking with the same file that was shipped with the software version you originally downloaded, since sometimes newer files have been changed in unpredictable ways. So try reverting to the original file, and ensuring that all other files are in place. If you're still experiencing a problem, let us know and we'll continue to investigate.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby RickMath » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:37 pm

James

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the tpl file was blank. Is there an earlier version that I should revert to. (see previous msgs.)

From what I understand in the structure of the system The template files just control the display. Which file should I check for the recent problem? Should I send some screen shots?

Thanks

Rick
RickMath

Postby RickMath » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:58 am

James

I have checked all the files that seem to be related to the submissionEditing.tpl file

All are there. The above file appears to be related to author/submission/summary.tpl copyedit.tpl proofread.tpl and footers.tpl

All the versions of the submissionEditing filehavr these references.

Hopefully we can find the problem. I have authors just emailing the copyedits to me so I can track them.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rick
RickMath

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:16 pm

Hi Rick,

The best thing to do is re-download the OJS package you're working from (whether that's 2.3.1 or 2.2.4); extract it; and upload the formerly blank tpl file to where it's supposed to be. That way you'll know the file that should've been there originally is now there. Try that, and let me know if the problem persists.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby RickMath » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:04 pm

James

We are running OJS 2.2.2

Due to the myriad of bug fixes and changes that I have made, I a little reluctant to upgrade right now. Unless you would recommend that. We are moving to our first issue in August and am a bit cautious. Is there another file in CVS that I could use?

Is 2.2.2 still available? I do not know where to look for any bug fixes for this in 2.2.2

Thanks for you help. Just let me know on the above.

Sorry to be so nervous about the upgrade.

Rick
RickMath

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:40 am

Hi Rick,

That's a pretty big gap between 2.2.2 and what's currently in CVS. You can download the original 2.2.2 package from here, and after extracting you'll be able to grab the appropriate tpl file.

Depending on what kind of modifications (not just bug fixes) you have made to your installation, you may want to try upgrading before you publicly release your first issue. I'm assuming that the site isn't high-traffic at this point, and I think you'd be well-served upgrading to at least 2.2.4 before you start pushing content -- you'll get the biggest potential upgrade interruption over now, and have an easier time of it later. Before upgrading, you'll probably want to make a diff of your current install against 2.2.4, so you know exactly what changes you've made, and can replicate them if need be. (I used to just keep a CHANGES document in my ojs dir where I manually listed all the modifications I made, down to the date and line number ... but creating a diff will do that more accurately, albeit without the commentary.) And remember, as long as you have backups of the database and the files, you're protected from having an upgrade go wrong!

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby RickMath » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:23 pm

Hi James

I was able to download and extract the tpl file from the original 2.2.2 version. I will test a submission over the weekend and get back to you.

As far as upgrading to 2.2.4, I would like to follow your advice. I am not familiar with diff or how to run it. Is that something that must be run on the unix server? I do not have access to the server to run commands. All I can run is the cpanel to make changes to files.

We will definitely backup everything. Did that with OCS last year.

Thanks and have a great weekend.

Rick
RickMath

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:27 am

Hi Rick,

Yep, diff is something you would typically have to run on the server, much like patch -- see http://www.google.ca/search?q=diff&ie=u ... =firefox-a. It is what we use to generate patches, actually. If you can't run diff on your server, you can always download the files from your server and use the diffutils package locally. There is a diffutils package available for Windows. Of course, the other option is to consistently track changes you've made yourself, as I've suggested below, so that you don't have to go searching and guessing at changes when it comes time to upgrade.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby RickMath » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:42 pm

James

Here is what I have done so far. I wanted to install 2.2.4 as a test version before going live.

Copied the OJS MySql database to a second database. Checked some of the tables and they are OK.
Downloaded my 2.2.2 version to my local computer.
Created a folder called OJS224 on my server to upload the 2.2.4 files to.
Downloaded version 2.2.4 to my local computer and extracted the tar file.
Made changes in 2.2.4 using compare in WinMerge (see below).
The major changes were in placing the changes from patch 3861 into the 2.2.4 version.
The minor changes were changing the config.inc.php file in 2.2.4 to the settings from 2.2.2 and some style changes in common.css , locale en_US and the old navy theme css. I left install =off in the config.inc.php file in the 2.2.4 version.
Uploaded the changed version of 2.2.4 to the server in my OJS224 folder. The new MySql database is pointed to in the 2.2.4 config file.

Any new lines in the 2.2.4 version that were not in my 2.2.2 version were left in the 2.2.4 files.

I need to know what to do next. The only file I do not understand is config.TEMPLATE.inc.php What do I need to do with that?

I would like to delete all the other local files in other languages if this is feasible. These take up a lot of space and take forever to FTP to my server.

One last thing that may be of help to others. I found an app named WinMerge very useful in all this. It highlights differences in color and allow you to copy from the old 2.2.2 files to the new 2.2.4 files. I did this all locally before the FTP to my server.

Thanks and please let me know your comments on the above.

Rick
RickMath

Next

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion