OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Completely lost

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Completely lost

Postby mvmramos » Fri May 21, 2010 1:28 pm

Hi,

I did not have any training on OJS, but somehow I managed to accomplish most tasks in order to publish the first edition of our journal. However, I am having now great difficulties in order to go beyond the copyedit phase. I just can´t get the articles to go to layout and I don´t understand how all this works. The documentation I have ("OJSinanHour" and "quickreference") don´t explain things in details, so I am completely lost.

Does anybody know where I can find a complete a detailed discussion (or manual) explaining the roles, processes and phases involved until the edition is published?

Thanks in advance.

Marcus Ramos.
UNIVASF - Brazil.
mvmramos

Re: Completely lost

Postby RickMath » Sun May 23, 2010 6:05 am

I am having a somewhat similar problem. Backing up one step, when log in as the author of an accepted paper the copy-edit page is blank. I made some changes and suggestions in the file and uploaded it to what I thought would be Step 1 for the author and now the file is in the layout area. Hopefully I can correct all this.

I am running OJS 2.2.2

Thanks

Rick
RickMath

Postby RickMath » Sun May 23, 2010 3:21 pm

Ok, I was able to upload a revised file for the author copy-edit. However when the author logs in and clicks on Queued for Editing or click on the the submission and then on editing the page is blank.

If you want me to post this problem in a separate thread, please let me know.

Thanks

Rick
RickMath

Postby jmacgreg » Mon May 24, 2010 1:53 pm

Hi all,

Rick, a separate thread would probably be best -- but in general, when you get a blank page it's best to follow the FAQ advice first, so we can narrow the problem down more quickly.

Marcus, I hope to have a more detailed OJS Userguide up this week -- keep an eye on the documentation page and the blog for more details. But in general, what you have to do is create layout galleys *outside of OJS*, using the last copyedited file as your initial revision. People normally create HTML or PDF galleys from Word documents, in a whole bunch of different ways -- simply by using Word's "Save As ..." function; using other programs like Pagemaker/inDesign/Dreamweaver/etc.; and so on. But basically, you have to make PDF/HTML layout galleys from the last-edited version, and then upload those galleys as Layout galleys under the Layout section. Make sure you have the "Layout" radio button checked.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby RickMath » Mon May 24, 2010 2:29 pm

James

Thanks. I will start a new thread.

Rick
RickMath

Postby mvmramos » Wed May 26, 2010 7:50 am

Thank you all for the replies. However, my issues are still very basic, probably due to the lack of training in the correct use of the system. I try to make them clear here:

1. As an editor, when I proceed to the layout phase, all I have to do is to "browse" and "upload" a file after selecting the "layout" radio button?
2. This uploaded file must be a DOC or PDF file? Probably a DOC, because it should be handled by the layout editor, but I am not sure anymore...
3. What happens after that?
4. Why do I get the message "DB Error: ERROR: invalid input syntax for integer: " after clicking in the "upload" button? It doesn´t happen always, but I can´t trace why and when it happens;
5. How do I know that the file has been correctly uploaded?

I am using version 2.2.3.0. Sorry to insist, but I am really confused and I don´t know how to get around these problems.

Thanks again.
mvmramos

Postby jmacgreg » Wed May 26, 2010 9:01 am

Hi mvmramos,

Not a problem, we're happy to help.

1. As an editor, when I proceed to the layout phase, all I have to do is to "browse" and "upload" a file after selecting the "layout" radio button?

Sorry -- I mis-wrote. To upload galleys that can be seen online, you have to make sure the "Galley" radio button is clicked.

2. This uploaded file must be a DOC or PDF file? Probably a DOC, because it should be handled by the layout editor, but I am not sure anymore...

This depends with how you are using OJS, and specifically whether you are using external layout editors. If you click the "Journal Help" option (should be in the journal sidebar) while viewing a submission's editing page, you'll get a fairly detailed description of the overall editing process, and how the layout editing step works. There are also a number of helpful tutorials here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/tutorials, including some very specific ones on the layout editing process.

If you can tell me whether you are planning on using external layout editors, or are just planning on doing the galley editing yourself, and how you want to manage the layout process in general, I can provide a more complete answer.

4. Why do I get the message "DB Error: ERROR: invalid input syntax for integer: " after clicking in the "upload" button? It doesn´t happen always, but I can´t trace why and when it happens;

The following thread and patch may be of help: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6053. Make sure you only apply the pre-2.2.4 patch.

5. How do I know that the file has been correctly uploaded?

Try patching your system first, and then see if the upload process behaves normally. But typically, once uploaded you should be able to download it from that Layout section.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby mvmramos » Wed May 26, 2010 10:21 am

Hi James,

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply. Our technician here in the university is trying to install the patch, but there is an extra line of code, which is supposed to be installed together with the patch, whose correct position in the file is not mentioned in the thread (already posted here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6053#p23700). Do you know this information?

Best Regards,
Marcus.
mvmramos

Postby mvmramos » Wed May 26, 2010 11:04 am

James,

Never mind about the previous message, we were able to fix the patch. The system is working fine now and I am able to go ahead.

Thanks a lot.
mvmramos

Postby jmacgreg » Fri May 28, 2010 10:21 am

Good to hear, Marcus! Thanks for keeping us posted.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion