OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Editor access to reviewer list

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Editor access to reviewer list

Postby lrolingher » Fri May 14, 2010 3:13 pm

We have two book review editors who would like to use our reviewer list to solicit book reviews. Is there any way to allow them access to the reviewer list outside of a submission?

Thanks, Louise
lrolingher

Re: Editor access to reviewer list

Postby jmacgreg » Mon May 17, 2010 11:14 am

Hi Louise,

You have a few options, none of which may be entirely satisfactory. You can use the Users Import/Export plugin to export your list of reviewers, which would give you an XML file with all reviewer information (in which case you would need to clean it up, and probably convert it into something a little more useful); you could enrol them as Journal Managers, in which case they would be able to see the reviewers, but would also have access to all JM configuration options; hrm, and maybe that's it by default.

It's probably possible to write a Book Reviews plugin that would allow editors to view the list of Reviewers (and associated interests) and solicit a book review via email. Do you have any development resources on hand? We could offer some suggestions as to how to develop such a thing. If not, I can add it as a feature request (and I think it's a good one), but I can't guarantee how fast we'd be able to get to it.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby lrolingher » Thu May 20, 2010 12:39 pm

James, Thank you for the suggestions. I had thought about the Journal Manager option, but we decided that was not such a great idea, more because the opportunity for accidents will go up exponentially. Our wish would be to have the plug-in so that emails could be sent through the system. Another wish for the future would be an automatic reminder for those who agree, but fail to meet deadlines--much like we already have for article reviewers.

We do have some tech support here at the University of Alberta, but they are behind on other upgrades so we may have to put it on the wish list for future upgrades/plugins. I will check with the u of a techs to see what our prospects might be for an in-house solution and get back to you.

Best, Louise
lrolingher

Postby jmacgreg » Mon May 24, 2010 12:43 pm

Hi Louise,

I just stumbled upon the following plugin, which may suffice (or may be a good starting point for development if/when your team has time): viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4381. But yes, please keep us posted on how this goes.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion