OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Guest editor as section editor: xml import problem

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Guest editor as section editor: xml import problem

Postby kellner » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:54 am

Hi,

quick question: I am importing issues and articles through an xml file based on native.dtd. Now some of the journal's issues contain sections that are effectively panel proceedings. These have their own titles (no problem), but also their own guest editor. While I read in the forum that these guest editors could, for instance, be defined as "section editors" in the OJS interface, there doesn't seem to be an element for this in native.dtd - or did I miss out on this? Is there a way to tag guest editors in native.dtd?

Thanks in advance,

b. kellner
kellner

Re: Guest editor as section editor: xml import problem

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:05 pm

Hi B. Kellner,

There's no way to specify this through the article import process -- you're only importing article/issue metadata information using this procedure, not any submission workflow information. My recommendation would be to create the sections first, create guest editors as Section Editors, and then assign them to the sections they are responsible for. When you import your articles, they won't have to *do* anything; but they will still be associated with that section.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby kellner » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:34 pm

Thanks - that's what I was afraid of. We'll use the workaround you suggested, then.

Your reply suggests a conceptual division between article/issue information and workflow-related information, which I find a bit odd. While the guest editor is a part of the workflow, certainly, they are also part of a section in an issue (just like an author is part of an article). It would be great if guest editors, both on the level of sections and on the level of entire issues, could be considered as a part of the import process in future releases.

Thanks again,

b. kellner
kellner

Postby jmacgreg » Tue May 04, 2010 4:27 pm

Hi b. kellner,

We've discussed on occasion having a more robust import function, but haven't gone anywhere with it. It's something that folks do request every so often, and we'll definitely take your comments into consideration if we expand the import features.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion