OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Translation Tool

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Translation Tool

Postby ramon » Wed May 05, 2004 11:39 am

Dear fellows,

I am installing and training people in SEER/OJS here in Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais, Brazil, for the Perspectivas em Ciência da Informação journal. (until 05/05/2004)

I was dreaming about a translation tool, that could create dynamically the translation files, or send them to a database, don´t really know which one would be faster, because of a few custom variables that we need such as location of publication (here it´s MG, and we have DF as standard for citation purposes). It´s a small change, but sometimes we forget where they go, as well as specific changes to text and semantic preferences.

This tool would show all the possible variables, and after translation the system could present a preview of where and how they would appear in the pages.

Another thing is that some journals need to create specific users and administrative people for their journals, like secretaries and office people, as well as hierarchies within the journal, while others don´t. We had the experience in Brasilia of a journal that everyone was main editor, with full access to everything, while here in Belo Horizonte, there are little intricacies within the roles, needing to display that hierachy, as well as very different people working in the journal, with different levels of knowledge and responsabilities.

Having the first user created be an editor sounds like a bad idea at the moment, from the experience we've had. Most general editors don´t have the knowledge necessary to be a system´s administrator, which is the main purpose of that first user. This user would be responsible for maintaining all the user registraion, which is very problematic in some cases, customizing the journal and setting the main info.

My sugestion is (I think I´ve said this somewhere else too!) to have different types of access for different types of users.

A mechanism to order user position in the editorial team page (something like the number system in the author directives) would be great! If we think more about the users than in a journal itself to create the system we may come up with a more customizable tool.

Also, we need to get in touch with the people of AJOL to tell us how they created the portal system (if Kevin hasn´t already done so - I mean created a portal system)

Sorry to be such a drag, and writing so much and such long stories...
ramon

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion