OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OJS on Ubuntu

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

OJS on Ubuntu

Postby Dr_Attia » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:01 pm

Please help me.
I installed ubuntu on my laptop to try OJS but the problem is that when I install apache2 it installs on a directory /host/wamp/bin/ and nothing is installed on /var/www thus when I start OJS with command localhost/ojs I get an error message saying: You don't have permission to access /ojs/ on this server
Please help me.
Thank you
Dr. Attia
Dr_Attia

Re: OJS on Ubuntu

Postby jmacgreg » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:11 pm

Hi Dr. Attia,

This sounds like more of a configuration issue with Ubuntu than an OJS issue -- I would check the Ubuntu forums and documentation for some possible tips on running web applications locally. You may also want to search our forum for permissions-related threads; and also take a look at our tutorials, which include videos on installing Apache, MySQL and PHP on Ubuntu.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby Dr_Attia » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:22 pm

Hi James,

Thank you very much for your reply. I did look at the tutorials and solved the issue already. Sorry if my question was irrelevant to the forum. :oops:
Attia
Dr_Attia

Postby jamief » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:42 am

Sounds more like a problem with httpd in apache.

You have to create and apply permissions for all virtual hosts, and OJS is your virtual host.

You need to test a basic setup directly. If the laptop is just being used as a test bed for OJS, and you are not a seasoned apache2 user, I would remove the separate installations of PHP, mySQL, and apache and put a LAMP server in instead. LAMP servers, like WAMP servers come with VERY EASY to follow menu systems, including a web based one, to do all the additional configurations, comes with phpmyadmin, and permit enormous fine tuning possiblilities in things like php.ini, restarting server etc.

Jamie
jamief

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion