You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Using stop words

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
The Public Knowledge Project Support Forum is moving to http://forum.pkp.sfu.ca

This forum will be maintained permanently as an archived historical resource, but all new questions should be added to the new forum. Questions will no longer be monitored on this old forum after March 30, 2015.

Using stop words

Postby ntorres » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:40 am

I want use stop words when I use the search engine and i’m trying to know how it works.
I find the stopwords.txt file in registry directory. This file seems to contain the stop words used when i make a search. I see that this file was used to store the stop words in a array, i suppose it’ll be used when is searching. But when i write any word include in stopwords.txt in a sea ch the result numbers is bigger than without it, so doesn’t work well.
I have to make any change to use the stop word?
The engine use the same file to order the results of the search or i can include a new file with the “order word”? (for example to ignore “the”, “a” at the beginning)

Postby asmecher » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:50 pm

Stop words are used both when searching and when indexing; when you update the stopwords.txt file, you'll need to re-generate the search index using "tools/rebuildSearchIndex.php" before the search results will fully reflect the change.

Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion