OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Problem with prepared emails

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Problem with prepared emails

Postby RickMath » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:46 am

HI

When a section editor wishes to notify an author on the results of a review by clicking the envelope icon, the email diplayed on the next page is blank. How do I get it to include the EDITOR_REVIEW prepared email.

I am using OJS 2.2.2

Thanks

Rick
RickMath

Re: Problem with prepared emails

Postby RickMath » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:48 pm

Also the import peer reviews does not work either.

I really need help on this as I need to get the results of a review to an author.

Thanks
RickMath

Postby RickMath » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:23 pm

:D

I was able to get the import peer review feature working by using the file in ojs-branch-2_2_2.

The prepared email still does not come in to the notify author email. So I still need to know where to go to fix this.

Thanks.

Rick
RickMath

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:59 pm

Hi Rick,

Both the import peer review process and the notify author of decision process received a *lot* of work between 2.2.2 and 2.3. Any chance you can upgrade? It'd be the best way to ensure that the fixes work as expected.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby RickMath » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:21 pm

Thanks James

I did have a few questions about the upgrade.

Are all the pre 2.3 patches incorporated?

Are the css files basically the same or should I save my css files from my current version?

Will I need to reload my custom header?

Thanks for your advice on these. Just need to know so I can prepare.

Rick
RickMath

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:56 pm

Hi Rick,

-- Yep, all pre-2.3 patches are incorporated;

-- you can see all css changes here (note that stylesheets have been abstracted in 2.3), and I'd suggest that aside from the normal backup that you'll be doing anyway (:D) it's probably not a bad idea to save your stylesheets, and even install a demo OJS 2.3 to test them out on;

-- Are you talking about uploading a custom header in Setup Step 5, or do you mean that you've made changes to tpl files? I wouldn't worry too much about the former as that information should still be saved/moved over, but if you've made code changes, of course you'll have to track those.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby RickMath » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:12 pm

Thanks James :D

Last question first. Maybe I used the wrong term. Just want to use my existing header graphic. I can reload it if need be.

I'll save my existing css files for reference.

Is 2.3.1-2 stable enough to go ahead with it? Also if I remember right I need to make some changes in the config.inc.php file too.

Thanks as always for your help and responses. Just let me know on the above.

Hope all is well with all of you and that BC is recovering from the 2010 Olympics.

Thanks for the great work on the PKP support team.

Rick
RickMath

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:24 pm

Hi Rick,

The existing header graphic should be kept for post-upgrade, no problem. Of course, it's always good to have backups. :D

If you can wait for another week or two, I'd suggest it: 2.3.2 is just around the corner, and we'll be marking that one stable. The release will be announced on the board, and on the main site's RSS feed.

And the Olympics ... man, that feels like months ago, now. :D

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby RickMath » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:20 pm

:D Thanks James

I can wait a few weeks as I busy with my conference. OCS has worked well for us on organizing this!

I will watch for the next release.

As always thanks and kudos to the PKP team for great help!!!!

Rick
RickMath

Postby RickMath » Mon May 03, 2010 9:32 pm

James

Has OJS 2.3.2 been released? I do not find any reference to this on the board.

Thanks for letting me know. Hopefully we will proceed to the galley stage soon for our first issue. I just need to know so I can use the system to notify authors of review results.

Thanks

Rick
RickMath

Postby jmacgreg » Thu May 06, 2010 10:42 am

Hey Rick,

We've actually decided to pull back on the OJS 2.3.2 release by a few months -- there are some key new features and backend modifications/abstractions to the WAL that merit this. I haven't yet updated the roadmap on the wiki; but we'll be aiming for an August release. Any chance we could rope you in for some testing when the time comes? :D

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby RickMath » Fri May 07, 2010 8:12 am

Thanks James

Yes, you can rope me in to be a tester. Is this a different version than what Kevin was recruiting people for a while ago?

In the meantime is there some way I can do a patch or a change to use prepared emails for notifying author(s) of editor decisions without having to enter the body each time. The Import Peer Reviews works.

I am currently running OJS 2.2.2

Thanks Rick
RickMath

Postby jmacgreg » Mon May 10, 2010 10:20 am

Hi Rick,

Yes, this will be a new version. We typically set up a test install online that people can use; we also provide a Release Candidate tar package for folks to install themselves. We'll announce the next round of testing on the forum (no earlier than mid-July, I'm guessing), and I'll contact you personally as well.

Regarding the addition of the Editor Decision template text: you may be able to implement this by adapting the patch against OJS 2.3 found here: http://pkp.sfu.ca/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=3861. But of course I'd definitely make a backup first, and there are no guarantees that this will apply cleanly against 2.2.2. Note that you'll also have to load the email templates -- I believe this can be done by running tools/dbXMLtoSQL.php after applying the patch, but you'll definitely have to massage the patch to do this as it currently includes a lot of 2.3 information.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby RickMath » Mon May 10, 2010 9:42 pm

Thanks James :D

I have updated my database with the templates and made some modifications to each one. These show up in the prepared email section. I can understand the sensitivity for each journal to customize these. Suggestion - just use the generic format and distribute them with the next revision letting users know to modify them for their specific situations.

Next I will modify the code in 2.2.2 using the patch lines. I notice that in the patch this is pre 2.3 CVS. Can you give me some advice on the 2.3 lines to look out for.

Thanks as always for you help. Hopefully this will get us by until the next release. I may have some further questions on this. Thanks in advance for helping me and other user with this until 2.3 is released as in my view this feature is important to us.

As you always end your post, Cheers!! Many thanks.

Rick
RickMath

Postby RickMath » Mon May 17, 2010 8:35 am

James

I have revised the files in Bug 3861. Just to recap I an running OJS 2.2.2

When I log in there are no error messages. But this is what happens, if I click on the Notify Author item I get the prepared email for accept submission no matter what the decision. The author name and submission title are showing correctly and the content of the prepared email is correct. Just not aligned with the recorded decision. I tried this with several submissions that have already been recorded as resubmit and one that was declined and archived.

The only part of the patch that was not applied was the dbscripts/xml/upgrade.xml section. The sqls were run to create the prepared email templates.

Is there anything I can tweak or change to get the correct alignment between the decision and the prepared email? Let me know if there is something else you need from me to get this to work.

Thanks for you help.

Rick
RickMath

Next

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion