OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Version of Record

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Version of Record

Postby shubhash » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:14 pm

One of our journal editors has asked whether there is a possibility of incorporating "version of record" information on the article metadata. I don't really know how this works in general. Would it make sense to include such a field in the article metadata? DOI would probably serve well in this case, but I am just wondering if it can be done at the metadata level. Does OJS have some way of handling/including this information? Or Does it even make sense?
shubhash

Re: Version of Record

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:42 am

Hi shubhash,

By "version of record" I assume you mean some sort of indicator as to whether this is the most recent version, or whether the article itself has been updated? This is already somewhat built into the system: if you update the galley, the galley file ID increments itself. You could probably cull that version information and display it in the Reading Tools. If you have more information on what you want, we can possibly give some pointers.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby shubhash » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:36 pm

Hi James,
It appears to be a mechanism by which the publishers can indicate whether an article is the "official" and/or final version as opposed to any other versions posted elsewhere on the Internet or found in other forms.
I am not very knowledgeable on this topic, but here are some pages that mention or talk about it:

http://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2009/ ... atter.html
http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/2010 ... -hold.html
http://www.apastyle.org/manual/related/ ... ources.pdf
shubhash

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:43 am

Hi Shubhash,

DOI information (which, according to the first link you provide, should be the relevant VoR marker) is stored in the article metadata already. If you have the Reading Tools enabled, you should see an "Indexing Metadata" link in the RT when viewing an article; clicking on it will bring up a list of all relevant metadata, including a DOI value (if DOIs are being generated, that is). DOIs can be set up in Journal Management -> Journal Setup Step 1; the RT can be enabled in Journal Management -> Reading Tools. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby mj » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:45 am

Hi all,

This topic came up yesterday on the PKP mailing list, and James suggested I might want to comment from a librarian perspective.

On a practical note, I suspect that what the original editor may have been asking is some way of indicating or certifying that a particular article is the immutable, "final" version. The short answer is that, in OJS, once an article has been published (made available, either openly or via subscription), that should constitute the "version of record".

Whether or not a DOI (or, say, just the URL) is used to uniquely identify the article doesn't matter so much as long as the content doesn't change after it has been published -- in OJS parlance, that new galleys aren't uploaded to replace the originally-published ones. This can be a fuzzy line, for example, what constitutes typographic changes or corrections versus what requires publishing an erratum or formal correction (or even retraction).

"Version of record" becomes more important if a journal is publishing content ahead of typesetting and proofing, and if it allows author self-archiving in advance of journal publication. In these cases, again, the journal has to decide what their policy is, and enforce it via their own processes (eg. not adding a DOI or other metadata to an article until it is considered "final").

So, I think James' recommendation stands: while it doesn't really make sense to have an explicit "version of record" flag, depending on the journal's policies and practices, you could probably derive it from the metadata that's available.

MJ
mj
Site Admin

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion