OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Reference Metadata in OJS 2.3

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Reference Metadata in OJS 2.3

Postby oahost » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:09 pm

Is it possible to add references as part of metadata in OJS 2.3? Or, how to include the references in submission to crossref? Thanks a bunch.
oahost

Re: Reference Metadata in OJS 2.3

Postby mgscano » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:52 am

BUMP! -- I'm also interested in this.

I remember Alec once said something about uploading a separated references file, but I've lost the thread, and searching the forums does not lead me anywhere.

Can you help?

-- thanks
mgscano

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:22 pm

Hi all,

OJS 2.3+ currently allows for references to be uploaded in a separate field. We're working hard on upgrading how OJS (and all of our programs) handle citation extraction and management -- see the Lemon8-XML roadmap for more details, and please feel free to ask questions.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby mgscano » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:04 am

Hi James,
reference management is really important to me, it could actually be the only reason why I could force an upgrade to the 2.3 trunk.

Is there a place where I can find specifications on how references are supposed to be handled?

Thanks,

Marco
mgscano

Postby jmacgreg » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:27 am

Hi Marco,

The above link (which I just fixed) has a lot of information on our plans for citation management. OJS 2.3 currently only allows for authors to submit their references separately -- so that they can be formatted separately, and listed separately as well. This lays the ground for references to be parsed and managed as their own discrete chunk, as the above link explains. This functionality will be added incrementally over the next several months: see our general milestones.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby mgscano » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:26 am

Hi James, please forgive me, but you said:

jmacgreg wrote:OJS 2.3+ currently allows for references to be uploaded in a separate field.

jmacgreg wrote:[...] OJS 2.3 currently only allows for authors to submit their references separately -- so that they can be formatted separately, and listed separately as well. [...]

... yet I need help to get this straight: where does it take place?

I've got a test site with the 2.3 installed, but in none of the submission steps I can find a "references" field.

Should supplementary files be used?

-- thanks,

Marco
mgscano

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:15 pm

Hi Marco,

Sorry, I should have specified: you need to enable this function. you can do so in Journal Managment -> Journal Setup Step 3.1 -- you'll find a checkbox item under the Author Guidelines field.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby mgscano » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:14 am

Got it now, thanks.

Well, yet I'm curious, but ... I'm really, really doubtful there will EVER be one of my customers correctly pasting references in a TinyMCE box. I have no idea of what happens on other sites, but as of today, my site has had close to 600 submissions, and the only one in which the "Paste from word" was ever used, is the first one I did for testing purposes.

I have retyped ALL the metadata of all the published articles myself.

How's with the other journals?

Just to add up something useful: here's a great tool from CrossRef, which automatically resolves all the references, if they are in a reasonable format. Sounds like they also have a web service for that.
mgscano

Postby jerico » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:17 pm

Hi Marco,

it is one of our top development goals to better assist editors in validating and correcting references. We know that reference checking is really necessary but takes a lot of time, currently. I agree with you that it is possible to partly automate reference checking. That's why the next OJS release will contain a first (beta) version of our new reference checker. (We call it the "citation editor".)

I'm the developer working on this so I thought I should quickly explain what's going to be included in the next OJS release. The reference checker will be able to:
1) import references from the reference text field you already discovered
2) parse references (if they are not in a too exotic format) into author, title, etc. (we use the NLM citation meta-data standard in the background)
3) let the editor manually improve the parsed references where necessary,
4) take the citation data and check it against several databases (CrossRef, Worldcat, ISBNdb and Pubmed),
5) provide the validated references in several supported citation output formats ready to be copied into MS Word with hidden anchors so that it will be very easy to link against them from within the text

Of course we'll not stay there. If you want to know what we plan after this first release then I propose you access the URL that James already mentioned: http://pkp.sfu.ca/wiki/index.php/Lemon8-XML_Roadmap. You'll find all the details there. My personal priorities re reference checking are: improve the usability of the editor, let editors enter customized citation formats for parsing, let editors add custom databases for checking, use the output in more places.

Kind regards,
Florian
jerico

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion