OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Articles from back issues in Unassigned queue

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Articles from back issues in Unassigned queue

Postby sdsville » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:00 am

Hello---

I successfully uploaded several back issues using the xml import, but now all of the articles I put up are in the Unassigned queue as well as the archives list. Is there a way to import back issues so that the newly added articles bypass the Unassigned queue and are safely out of the way of the actual new submissions for future issues?

Thank You----

(using OJS 2.2.3)
sdsville

Re: Articles from back issues in Unassigned queue

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:43 pm

Hi sdsville,

Did you ensure that the value for the issue element's published attribute is "true", ie.

Code: Select all
<issue published="true" current="true">

?

If you could post the top few issue-specific lines of one of your XML import files, I can take a look and troubleshoot.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby sdsville » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:35 am

Hi James---

Thanks for your reply. I think I figured it out:

When I did the XML imports it took a few tries to get it right for several of my back issues, but eventually they all appeared correctly in the issue browse. My issue tags looked like <issue published="true" current="false" identification="title"> for each issue, so I did have published set to true. What I just noticed is that although the titles matched up in the unassigned and archives submissions screens, the article ID's were mutually exclusive--in other words, I think my unassigned submissions are actually the leftover detritus of my failed upload attempts. I remember my uploads failing for various reasons, including spaces in the file names, missing </tags>, missing quotation marks, etc; on some of the attempts the files must have made it through before the upload failed. Now I guess my only recourse is to archive and delete each bogus submission one at a time....

Thanks Again,

sdsville
sdsville

Postby jpliske » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:34 pm

Hello,

We have done back issue importing using the XML method and notice the same thing happening. We have split our XML into files for each issue (about 150 issues for the journal, so about 150 XML files were imported). The articles appear fine when viewing the issues, so that's not a problem. We have considered going through and removing each article from unassigned via the "reject and archive submission" method. Also, we could re-upload each XML file with the current=true setting. But is there a way to move the articles from "Unassigned" to the archives without having to redo all this work? Perhaps a database script that I can run on the back end MySQL DB?

Jeff
jpliske

Postby jpliske » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:43 pm

I think I found a solution, assuming all articles in the Unassigned Queue are to be archived, you can execute this SQL query on your db:
Code: Select all
update articles set status=0 where journal_id=[YOUR JOURNAL ID] and status=1;

The values for status are STATUS_ARCHIVED=0 and STATUS_QUEUED=1. Correct me if this will not work.

Jeff
jpliske

Postby asmecher » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:51 pm

Hi Jeff,

Yes, that looks reasonable -- but note that it'll affect all submissions that are in progress (i.e. the ones in "In Editing" as well), not just the Unassigned ones.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion