OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Problems customizing the look–content doesn't change

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Problems customizing the look–content doesn't change

Postby andrew_lsj » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:11 pm

Hello,

I am a brand new Journal Manager and am having some problems within The Look section of Journal Setup.

I need to add/edit/update content in the Journal Page Footer as well as in Additional Content under Journal Homepage Content. I add the content (using valid HTML) but nothing changes after saving.

Does this have something to do with my permissions or a stylesheet? What is happening and how do I correct this?

Thank you for your time and help,
Andrew
andrew_lsj

Re: Problems customizing the look–content doesn't change

Postby jmacgreg » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:02 pm

Hi Andrew,

A few questions: are you using the TinyMCE editor (that's a rich HTML editor that ships with OJS) to add the HTML? If so, can you click the "HTML" icon, past or edit the content you want in there, save that window, and then save at the very bottom of Step 5?

If you do all that and the changes still don't show up, I'd recommend having your Site Administrator clear the template and data caches from the Site Admin User Home. That might do the trick. Let us know if you're still having problems.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby andrew_lsj » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:44 pm

James,

No I'm not using TinyMCE. We just cleared the caches and are still having the same problem. I noticed that our version of OSJ isn't the newest, could that be it?

Thank you in advance,
Andrew
andrew_lsj

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:06 pm

Hi Andrew,

That could be it -- letting us know which version of OJS you're using would help us determine if that's the issue. Also stating exactly what kind of steps you're following (for example, you should be adding the information to the Journal Footer field; and then pressing Save at the bottom of the page); whether you're getting any strange blank pages when you save a page; and even your journal location and HTML code (obfuscated if necessary) would be helpful.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby andrew_lsj » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:03 pm

James,
We enter the desired footer content, press save, and nothing changes. No blank pages after doing this, although it happens elsewhere now. We currently have OJS 2.2.1 installed. Haven't upgraded yet, but plan on it soon. http://LibraryStudentJournal.org. Let me know what code you'd like to see and I'd be glad to post it in reply. Thanks for your time.
-Andrew
andrew_lsj

Postby jmacgreg » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:56 am

Hi Andrew,

If you're planning on upgrading soon, you might want to wait until then to start really mucking around -- this problem may have already been fixed. (And don't forget to back up your database and files before upgrading, of course. :D)

That said, a couple of things you can check out or try:

1. Make sure that the footer wasn't hard-coded. You can take a look at the footer template file to see if that copyright information was added by hand. See templates/common/footer.tpl.

2. Check the database to see if the footer information is in there. If you have access to phpMyAdmin or from the server, take a look at the journal_settings table. There should be a journalPageFooter column in there, with your footer text included (only if the footer text was added via the UI, and not hardcoded as above). You can update that field with the appropriate text via MySQL, and it should work fine.

Let us know how it goes!

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby andrew_lsj » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:15 pm

James,

Thank you for the info and advice. I looked at the footer.tpl and found no hand coding there, then checked the journalPageFooter column and discovered that the correct footer info is there, but for some reason isn't showing up in the actual footer of the journal.
andrew_lsj

Postby mcrider » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:45 am

Hi andrew,

Have you noticed any errors in your PHP error log? If the correct information is in the database, then the problem is likely in the code. An upgrade should fix this--I'd recommend doing that and seeing if the problem persists.

Cheers,
Matt
mcrider

Postby asmecher » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:47 am

Hi Andrew,

I'd also suggest double-checking the file permissions on the contents of the "cache" directory. These files should be managed by the account under which you run PHP scripts on the server, and if the permissions are wrong you'll experience similar problems.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Postby andrew_lsj » Mon May 31, 2010 5:04 am

Yep it was the permissions. Thank you very much for the time and insight. Everything is working smooth now.
andrew_lsj

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion