OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

OpenURL + increasing visibility

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

OpenURL + increasing visibility

Postby gwest » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:53 pm

Hello all,
Thanks so much for the latest release. I'm waiting until the 2.3.1 point release comes out before upgrading, but it looks great so far.

A couple of questions regarding providing access to my OJS-powered journal:

a) Is OJS OpenURL compliant, and if so, can anyone guide me in how I may get my journal listed by universities' OpenURL resolvers (e.g. their SFX journal finding services)? I can't find a thread here which answers this question.

I'm not sure if it's related, but I've already set up my OAI provider in several services, such as OCLC's OAIster, the Open Archives initiative index, the University of Illinois index and so on.

b) On the more general note of increasing visibility, I'd like to hear if anyone has tips on how to go about getting a journal listed in popular indexing services. I've followed all the relevant tips in the OJS "Getting Found, Staying Found, Increasing Impact" document, but still find myself in the situation where normal academic users, from the starting point of their university library catalogue, cannot find my journal.

Thanks in advance, and keep up the excellent work.
gwest

Re: OpenURL + increasing visibility

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:32 am

Hi gwest,

Regarding question 1: no, we are not yet openURL compliant, but it's definitely in the works. It won't be in 2.3.1, but in the near future I think.

Regarding question 2: if you are concerned about specific library instances, you can always approach the library itself and see if they can harvest or link to you. I would also be very interested to hear what other community members have done in this regard.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby gwest » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:34 pm

Hi James,
Thanks for your answers, they have cleared things up for me.

I would particularly be interested to hear from any users who have insight into getting OJS journals listed on university SFX-type resolver services.
gwest

Postby gwest » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:53 am

gwest wrote:Hi James,
Thanks for your answers, they have cleared things up for me.

I would particularly be interested to hear from any users who have insight into getting OJS journals listed on university SFX-type resolver services.

To reply for the benefit of others, I found that once my journal was listed in OCLC OAIster, it has begun showing up in university SFX resolvers. It's been listed for a few weeks now, and I imagine that will increase as subscribing libraries update their SFX systems from OCLC's catalogue.
gwest

Postby dallibs » Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:37 am

Hi - I've just started using OJS at Dalhousie and I've run into a problem that I think is related to this thread. In the absence of openURL compliance is there a way to setup a journal on OJS to use some sort of predictable or logical linking syntax. For example, I have a test journal with links to an issue that look like this:

http://ocs.library.dal.ca/ojs/index.php ... sue/view/1

Is there anything I can do at the point when I'm setting up a journal so that it uses volume and issue in the linking? I'm thinking of something like:

http://ocs.library.dal.ca/ojs/index.php/dtj2/6/1 where 6/1 is the volume/issue.

I'd like to be able to create a parser for our SFX resolver whereby we could at least provide issue level linking via our resolver to any OJS journals hosted by us. Anyone have any thoughts on how I might accomplish this.

Thanks
- Geoff
dallibs

Postby jmacgreg » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:52 pm

Hi Geoff,

You should be able to use OJS/OCS' public indentifier options to create URLS like that. You can find a rundown on how to manage Public IDs here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4262#p16591. Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Postby dallibs » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:23 pm

Thanks for your help with this James. I've managed to set things up on the OJS side and based on this was able to get issue level linking working via our SFX resolver. I'm still having article level problems ... but my difficulties are all on the resolver side now. I don't suppose you know of any SFX sites that have been successful with article level linking to OJS hosted journals?

Thanks again
- Geoff
dallibs

Postby jmacgreg » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:45 pm

Hi Geoff,

Not personally, no, but I'll ask our team if they know of any. Hope all goes well.

Cheers,
James
jmacgreg

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion