OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

Section Editor

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Section Editor

Postby emma » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:41 pm

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if it is possible NOT to choose a section editor every time a new article has been submitted?

Since it's only myself and one other editor, it seems sort of silly to choose ourselves as both the editor and section editor and then send myself an email asking to be section. Only so I can make an editorial decision on the article.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
emma

More on editor/section editor

Postby Liz Jackson » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:37 am

Hi all,

Just to follow up on Emma's question: We also do not have section editors. We have one editor who assigns reviewers, and we'd prefer not to assign this person to the roles of both editor and section editor. Is it easy to modify this so that the editor can assign reviewers on OJS?
Liz Jackson

Postby asmecher » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:05 pm

Hello Emma & Liz,

Currently the section editor must be assigned manually, although this may be streamlined in a future release.

Liz, is there a specific reason you'd prefer not to enroll editors as section editors in this situation?

Thanks,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

section editor

Postby Liz Jackson » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:57 am

Currently we are doing test runs where I am enrolled as both the editor and section editor.

Since I do not have a need for both functions, I am required in the current set up to go in first as an editor to assign myself as the section editor, and write myself an email asking myself, before I can assign reviewers. So, this is more of a nuisance than a functional problem as this means I just have one extra step to do before assigning reviewers, and plan to receive plenty of junk emails from myself.

If there is/will be a way to eliminate the section editor so that the editor can fulfill all capacities, that would make the system more convenient.
Liz Jackson

Postby asmecher » Wed Oct 26, 2005 1:08 pm

Hi Liz,

Thanks for the feedback. We'll be addressing this in our next release.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

sec/editor and submission status

Postby Liz » Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:42 pm

Hi,

I am now able to select reviewers as an editor; thank you very much for changing that. However, when you select reviewers as an editor (rather than sec. editor), the author is not able to see that there submission is "quered for review" rather than "awaiting assignment" under their active submissions. It would be more desirable from our point of view if authors were able to see the actual status of their submission when review, etc. is facilitated by the editor. Is this difficult to change?

Thank you very much for your time!

Liz
Liz

Postby asmecher » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:02 pm

Hi Liz,

Are you working with the OJS 2.1 beta?

In OJS 2.1 (which will be released very soon), you will have the option to designate multiple editors and section editors to a submission. If (as an editor) you want to designate yourself as the person responsible for a submission, there is an "Add Self" link you can use.

If you don't designate anyone as the person responsible for a submission, however, it won't move into the Review queue -- OJS needs to know who to include in an editorial role on emails, for example.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion