OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

HELP!! Submission files corrupted by server!

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Postby asmecher » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:10 am

Hi Jozoraz,

Just to clarify -- you said below
when i open the .doc file directly from the location it is stored on server, everythink is ok.
but also
and there is no difference if i open the file directly or download it and then open.
Is the file corrupted in your files_dir when you open it directly on the server?

Unfortunately I don't have a Windows machine to test with at the moment, so this will have to involve some investigation on your part -- but I'd suggest saving the file to disk and doing a binary compare against the original file as it should have downloaded. It's possible that PHP warnings are getting inserted into the document somehow; try disabling the display of PHP warnings and errors in your system's php.ini and redirect them instead to a log file. Then check to see if the download is resulting in any errors or warnings.

I'm at a loss for any reason that .doc files would fail where .pdf files would work; is the .doc file larger than the .pdf files that succeeded?

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Postby jozoraz » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:19 am

and there is no difference if i open the file directly or download it and then open.

i meant: if i click on the link for downloading a file, there is a dialog window "open or save to disk".

the files stored in the directory on the server are all ok.
jozoraz

Postby jozoraz » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:35 am

thanks for the hint. now i got it solved. it was my mistake
in the php.ini i set the "auto_prepend_file = root.ini" variable.
i used it for some testing and forgot to remove it afterwards.
in this way some text was attached to the document and was corrupted.

thank you
jozoraz

Re: HELP!! Submission files corrupted by server!

Postby ABDO » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:51 am

We have a simulair problem here with OJS-2.4.2. We upload a .doc-file:
Code: Select all
Galley Format   FILE   ORDER   ACTION   VIEWS
1.   PDF   VIEW PROOF   624-882-8-PB.PDF  2014-05-25   ↑ ↓   EDIT | DELETE   542
2.   Test Upload IL   VIEW PROOF   624-934-1-PB.DOC  2014-08-15   ↑ ↓   EDIT | DELETE   0
3.   Test Upload IL 2   VIEW PROOF   624-935-1-PB.DOC  2014-08-15   ↑ ↓   EDIT | DELETE   0
4.   Test Upload IL 3   VIEW PROOF   624-936-1-PB.PDF  2014-08-15   ↑ ↓   EDIT | DELETE   0
5.   Test Upload IL 4   VIEW PROOF   624-938-1-PB.DOC  2014-08-15   ↑ ↓   EDIT | DELETE   0

But when we download it and open it in word (or VIEW PROOF), we get a corrupt file:

Code: Select all
ÐÏ à¡± á                >   þÿ                    •           Ÿ       þÿÿÿ    “   ”   É   o   ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿì¥Á  À    ø ¿               0 

When we open it directly on the server, theres is no problem. Looks like it got corrupt while downloading.
ABDO

Re: HELP!! Submission files corrupted by server!

Postby asmecher » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:35 am

Hi ABDO,

Have you modified the source code? The behavior you describe can happen if there are inadvertent modifications to class files -- something as simple as a blank line at the top of the file will cause PHP to drop that blank line into the page output in before sending the normal content to the user's browser. This won't cause problems with HTML pages, but will break file downloads. These can be hard to find, so I'd suggest using a tool like "diff" to compare your installation to the source package from the PKP website.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Public Knowledge Project Team
asmecher

Previous

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion