OJS OCS OMP OHS

You are viewing the PKP Support Forum | PKP Home Wiki

html article format questions

Are you an Editor, Author, or Journal Manager in need of help? Want to talk to us about workflow issues? This is your forum.

Moderators: jmacgreg, michael, vgabler, John

Forum rules
This forum is meant for general questions about the usability of OJS from an everyday user's perspective: journal managers, authors, and editors are welcome to post questions here, as are librarians and other support staff. We welcome general questions about the role of OJS and how the workflow works, as well as specific function- or user-related questions.

What to do if you have general, workflow or usability questions about OJS:

1. Read the documentation. We've written documentation to cover from OJS basics to system administration and code development, and we encourage you to read it.

2. take a look at the tutorials. We will continue to add tutorials covering OJS basics as time goes on.

3. Post a question. Questions are always welcome here, but if it's a technical question you should probably post to the OJS Technical Support subforum; if you have a development question, try the OJS Development subforum.

Postby nicollb » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:42 am

This is my first journal in OJS. We wish to publish the articles in html format. When I upload the HTML page and view the Galley - it looks fine. When the piece is published, things go awry. I get the article view "header" and then my complete page, but the style sheet doesn't seem to be linked correctly.

So - are the html formatted articles full html pages? With a head, body, style sheet links, etc? or are they partial pages - just the content?

I'm sure I'm making this more difficult than it really is... but I need a clue!
nicollb

HTML formatting

Postby ramon » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:37 am

nicollb,

Please specify the OJS version you are working with (even though I assume it's 2.x).

I 'm more knowleadgeble of version 1.x, so what I'll write here is for that version. If it helps for 2, better then..

OJS 1.x copies the content inside the body tags, removing most of the header tags from the html. So, there's no need to create much in the header section of your html file.

Format the article with specific CSS that you can either send an external file (using the same form to upload images and html) or add the CSS styles to ojs/include/journal.css, which is a cleaner and safer solution in my opinion. One single file, already loaded as the user enters the site, deals with all the formatting you need, keeping everything in one file to deal with.
ramon

Postby nicollb » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:06 am

Thanks - yes I am using 2.0 - I have tried uploading the css with the html and I think that you are correct about it being better to alter the main css file.

Your explanation validated what I thought was happening. The issue is that when I view the galleys online, I get no css formatting - so I thought I had to make "full pages".

Live and learn.
nicollb

Re: HTML formatting

Postby mrich » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:52 am

ramon wrote: or add the CSS styles to ojs/include/journal.css, which is a cleaner and safer solution in my opinion. One single file, already loaded as the user enters the site, deals with all the formatting you need, keeping everything in one file to deal with.

2.0x doesn't seem to have a journal.css in this location. However, I added my extra styles to the tail end of common.css, located at ojs/styles/common.css, and that seems to work fine for me.

Thanks for the suggestion!
mrich

HTML with images in version 1.x

Postby ramon » Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:03 pm

Dear OJSers,

On version 1.x, when the article to publish has images, the system renames the images with a strange attitude.

It just keeps adding a number to the end of the file, like image0010.jpg. And this is for all 1x from 1.1.5 to 1.1.10...

So, there wouldn't be a need to add the 00's in the first place...

This is just a comment, not a serious bug.

I don't think it's worth fixing either. So the thing to do is to write the HTML image source tag correctly to fit the name the system gave the image after being sent...

Remember also, that there may be a cache problem after sending image002.jpg. It may not refresh after sending image002.jpg and if you send image003.jpg it will override the previous one.

A simple page refresh will do the trick.
This happens in some networks, with lots of cache and proxies....
ramon

Postby asmecher » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:23 pm

Hi Nicollb,

I looked into this and discovered that it is, in fact, a bug -- it's been corrected for OJS 2.1, which will be released around the end of the month. Until then, please use embedded CSS for article-specific formatting, and journal-wide CSS for more general formatting.

Regards,
Alec Smecher
Open Journal Systems Team
asmecher

Return to OJS Editorial Support and Discussion